MAF/MAP/HP Pump

bax

Torque Junkie
Car
Rexton 270xdi 2005
so lately ive been thinking , my car is already 10+ years old and so far i never had to replace the MAF or the MAP(Turbo boost) Sensors , not that im complaining but i was thinking perhaps the old age had affected them slightly and caused a minor drop in performance for my car ... question is are the MAF and MAP such components that weaken with age and start being less accurate or are they like a light switch either they work or they dont ?

Theres also the Fuel pump , theres no doubt that this will weaken with the years especially on a tuned car , so my question is how do you determine if its time to replace/restore the fuel pump ? acceleration figures aside how can one measure if the Fuel pump is doing its job in optimal condition or its performance is lower than it should be ?

In my case its a Turbo Diesel 2.7 Engine shares components with Mercedes , if such info is needed

I wouldn't rush to replace things. If there was a problem you'd have an array of fault lights and fault codes in the ECU. You'd also notice a significant drop in performance and an increase in fuel consumption. Emissions tests would be harder to pass, too.
You obviously service your car properly and use decent fuel - this is why things are still working properly.

so youre saying , if im not seeing Check engine lights then i shouldnt touch them , cant say much about Fuel consumption , my foot just gets heavier on the gas everytime i get in the car so its not a good measure ..

so theres nothing to gain by replacing them because like a switch they either work or they dont ?

There are control parameters built into the ECU programming. Go and read the ECU to see if there's anything reported and logged. The fuel pump is clearly working properly otherwise you'd have almost no power at all and very difficult starting at best.

MAFs can be cleaned but again, if it's failing outside of normal operating parameters you'd have very unusual driving characteristics and fault warnings.

Scanned both ECU and TCU , no Errors to report .. so im guessing its within normal running parameters , question is it running in optimal parameters or just barely makes it through the minimal required parameters ?any way to check ? voltage or pressure ?

Interrogating the ECU should give you 'pending' faults such as sporadic out of range voltages, CRC checksum errors etc. Reset these (if there are any) and check again a few days later.

These systems are all very much closed loop, sensors will vary over time, and with temperature changes etc. but this is all built into the control codes.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back