LPG ?

yankfan101

Torque Junkie
Car
1987 Range Rover
Hi all, does anyone know how much you get from the GOV for LPGing a 4.6 engine. Many Thanks folks.

Many years ago there existed the UK Government Powershift scheme which did make a contribution towards the cost of adding LPG equipment to conventional petrol powered cars. I am not sure if any such scheme is still in existence. I do know that anything the gov't paid was subject to tax as part of your earned income.

Are you really sure you want to run on LPG? There are issues associated with it, including a reduction on power and torque compared to petrol operation. Clearly with a 4.6 litre engine losing 15% or so of available power and torque is not likely to be a serious handicap but there are also [unverified by me] reports of valve seat recession (wear).

This could amount to nothing more than the typical British attitude which is along the 'know what I like & like what I know' kind of lines. In much the same way as [most] people didn't want to accept unleaded petrol, didn't want to accept diesel. Their current phobia is electric propulsion.

This largely British phenomenon is possibly responsible for Islamophobia and general racism here in the UK.

If you do go the LPG route I would suggest careful research, and definitely don't buy the low end of the market. Sequential LPG injection is the way to go in my opinion. Simple evaporators placed in the intake tract are crude and in my estimation, plain dangerous. Consider factors such as integration with your car's onboard electronics. You don't want spurious warning lights glowing at you during LPG operation. Well, I don't anyway.

Keep me informed of your thoughts and progress!

I've had 2 lpg motors and both have had problems tbh, most if not all mechanics will advise you to stay well away, however if you really want lpg buy a car which has already been converted as the car will still cost much the same as a standard model, hope this helps,

Good advice! Or look at dual-fuel from the factory models.
I believe Vauxhall did a few models in the late 1990s. Not sure the OP wants to swap a V8 Jaguar XJ for a 1.8 Vectra though!

There's probably a good reason Ford,Volvo and Vauxhall only did lpg factory conversions for a brief period. I remember the Fords my company used were hopeless from New. The lpg Guy that looked after my cars told me that the technology just wasn't here yet. These day's you can get extreme smiles for over 40 mpg on regular petrol it seems

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back