LPG conversion on a diesel

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've been reading conflicting information on whether it is possible to convert a diesel engine to LPG.

I assume that some engines can be converted. Does anyone know more about LPG diesels? What is involved?

The short answer is you can't. Some efforts have been made to burn LPG and diesel together with the LPG being injected with the charge air. The idea is to use the excess oxygen present in the combustion chambers. Often the boost pressure has to be reduced to stop detonation, therefore less oxygen.

Personally I can't see the point of converting a diesel in this way as the savings are marginal.

Hi Steve - I did look at this before, and it's something that the local authority does around here with refuse collection wagons. They, I'm told, use CNG (compressde natural gas) as an additive into the intake air for reasons of economy. It burns alongside diesel apparently giving about 25% better runtime per tank.

Not sure I'll be converting any time soon though.

Sadly, nitrous is illegal on the road. What I'm getting at is that the only way to run a diesel engine on CNG/LPG is to convert it into a petrol engine. Bit silly really. Might as well buy a decent petrol in the first instance.

Ah, no, it's not. What is naughty is not telling your insurance company :)

However, there is an EU law/directive that states that you cannot use 2 different fuels at the same time. For example, my Range Rover is fitted with LPG and you can switch between it and petrol but not run both at the same time. It has suddenly struck me that this could case problems if you tried to use LPG and diesel together, as you would fall foul of EU law. Sounds like the Council using it on their vehicles needs to check this out :)

What is interesting, and worrying, is that the EU idiots class nitrous as a fuel!!!! Work that out. So, technically, HD is correct, but no normal policeman knows this. All they do, in the event of a pull or a crash and discover the car is fitted with nitrous, is advise the car owner's insurance company.