Loz's MX-5

Well here's the replacement for the MG ZS, she's a 1995 UK spec 1.8iS 5 with a confirmed 69,000 miles on the clock, 2 lady owners the last being a MX-5 OC member from new & full service history from new including all the receipts & MOT's. The sills have been repaired in the past but have been done to a good standard. The paint work is good for a 17 year old car but could do with a little tidy up although I am thinking of a respray in Honda pearl white. I love the OEM wheels & they are in good nick but I will get them refurbed this winter.

Some quick pics...

f715a290.jpg

1e5144e3.jpg

89fefe31.jpg

Engine the right way round & proper wheel drive. :amuse: Sticker on the slam panel confirms cam belt was done 2010 at 67,000 miles.

593252eb.jpg

5bf7b685.jpg

7becc917.jpg

Full tool kit including a pair of pliers a screw driver & spanners, though I've not found the jack yet.

Got a few bits stocked up already too... :amuse:

2e602b60.jpg

Video update:
There isn't one. For now. :D
Tried a video run today & the sound was just awful when using my Ricoh camera, so I'm going to have to have a rethink, this may be the excuse I'm looking for to upgrade my old Canon SLR to a newer one that can record HD video & use a dedicated mic. :amuse:

What's the mic/sound like on those GoPro's, anyone got one?

Don't get me wrong this is still a work in progress there's much more to do yet. Its not a big issue, its just the way they are a small blip on the throttle and it settles fine, its just a little embarrassing sometimes. :lol:

You know what its like Os Is everything has to just right, its like a mental itch. :embarrest::lol:

I know exactly where your coming from young man! :amuse:
I am so uber fussy with the beast that on occasion; I have seen the mechanics heads drop then they make a run for it when I pull up at the garage :lol:

Video update:
There isn't one. For now. :D
Tried a video run today & the sound was just awful when using my Ricoh camera, so I'm going to have to have a rethink, this may be the excuse I'm looking for to upgrade my old Canon SLR to a newer one that can record HD video & use a dedicated mic. :amuse:

What's the mic/sound like on those GoPro's, anyone got one?

I have the GoPro and the sound is very good, BUT; school boy error by the manufacturers requires a modification to be done. The camera came with two plastic waterproof shield's :blink: If your underwater then garbled sound is not an issue, this is because the microphone is covered by the perspex cover.

The cover really needs to be used as it has a separate docking set up for mounting brackets etc. So keep one of the covers for underwater stuff and modify the other cover by drilling a large hole in it where the microphone is ;)

Also Loz, be aware that although the picture quality is marvellous on the camera, for some bizarre reason the LCD monitor that allows instant viewing is an expensive optional extra - if bought through Demon Tweeks that is.

Another Also, you will need a mini HDMI lead to upload film to a HD screen, a ridiculous omission to make by the manufacturer considering the lead costs pence in relation to a camera which cost me the wrong side of £395 at the time of my purchase.

Reactions: Loz
Urgh.... Kill Joy! :lol:

What are you planning next? Or are you going to suprise us again?

Next stage will be to make the most of the TB's, the MX-5 engine is a low comp engine so either hi comp pistons or a head skim. I'm thinking of a ported head from CNC heads & a set of fast road cams. Also on the list is a 4-2-1 manifold & a (better) quality exhaust (Simpson possibly). I want to get the brakes refurbished too & I've got a set of new discs & Axxis Ultimate pads waiting to go on at some point too.
Then there's the suspension to look at & the body work, Oh & some lower sitting seats as well. should keep me going for a bit. :amuse:

Next stage will be to make the most of the TB's, the MX-5 engine is a low comp engine so either hi comp pistons or a head skim. I'm thinking of a ported head from CNC heads & a set of fast road cams. Also on the list is a 4-2-1 manifold & a (better) quality exhaust (Simpson possibly). I want to get the brakes refurbished too & I've got a set of new discs & Axxis Ultimate pads waiting to go on at some point too.
Then there's the suspension to look at & the body work, Oh & some lower sitting seats as well. should keep me going for a bit. :amuse:

That should keep you busy!! ;) Simpson? Doesn't BigT have a full Simpson exhaust system?

Sounds really good mate. Any clues as to the MAF issue, or are you going to go somewhere else for a custom ECU?

Yep.
There isn't an issue running without a MAF really. It's just how these things are set up to work, I just want it to work the best I can make it that's all.
As for the ECU, the cars got an Adaptronic ECU (cost more than the TB's!) So that not a problem, its a great price of kit that's got lots of features I've yet to make use of. :D

Yep.
There isn't an issue running without a MAF really. It's just how these things are set up to work, I just want it to work the best I can make it that's all.
As for the ECU, the cars got an Adaptronic ECU (cost more than the TB's!) So that not a problem, its a great price of kit that's got lots of features I've yet to make use of. :D

Awesome!

Adaptronic ECU? Sounds like something from RoboCop.

I gather its always learning your driving style?

Nice stuff mate, haven't been over this in a while......
ITBs is an awesome touch....

and I agree with Clay, we need a video!! I want to hear the ITB awesomeness...... something that diesels lack is a nice induction noice so I have to get mine from somewhere else....

So video is still giving me problems still haven't got anything with a decent mic yet. But I got one today for you all, the fans were noisy & it went a bit too loud for the camera mic to cope with. I shall have to try again. :(

Went to EFi Parts today in Runcorn, Chris has lots of experience with Adaptronic ECU's & I wanted him to check over my map & correct the cold start portion. Car came away running smoother & a lot less richer on tickover.

Power is 106bhp at the rear wheels, I won't pretend I'm disappointed because I am, but I did know when I started that more needs to be done before a decent RR result appears so the next step will be to raise the compression & have some decent cams thrown in, can't wait for that. :amuse:

Some other interesting cars at EFi.

Chris's 10sec, 700bhp R5 drag car.

R0010634_zpsfefd58e2.jpg

R0010633_zpsf0c973e0.jpg

Mitsubishi Colt with Evo 6(?) underpinnings inc 4WD, front side exit exhaust & screamer pipe. :blink:

R0010635_zps2a4b4413.jpg

Holy turbo chargers Batman!

They are mad! Your dyno run seemed to go well! I thought you said 160bhp! How comes so low with the throttle bodies? Do you need more mods to make use of the bodies?

christ is there something up with it ? i thought these were supposed to be around 110 standard i understand it should have lost a little over time but would have thought it would have been higher than that.

i take it the colt is a track car as dont the exhausts have to exit after the wheel ?

Holy turbo chargers Batman!

They are mad! Your dyno run seemed to go well! I thought you said 160bhp! How comes so low with the throttle bodies? Do you need more mods to make use of the bodies?

Seems the quoted Jenvey figure was with an engine that had been 'breathed on'.
Yes next mods will be to raise compression, these engines are low comp (something like 9:1) so once thats addressed & some decent cams

christ is there something up with it ? i thought these were supposed to be around 110 standard i understand it should have lost a little over time but would have thought it would have been higher than that.

i take it the colt is a track car as don't the exhausts have to exit after the wheel ?

No nothing wrong, just more to do. :amuse:
1.6 cars are 115 bhp but were later detuned to 90 bhp when the 1.8 was launched, the 1.8 is 133 bhp all the figures are at the flywheel so while mine is low it's up on standard at the wheels.
Because no-one can agree on a figure for drive train losses for MX-5's I've decided just to concentrate on at wheel numbers from now on.
The other thing I learnt today is that positioning injectors further back from the head improves atomisation & top end power, but place them close to the head improves torque, which is why some cars run two sets of injectors & the ECU switches between them as the revs change. As mine are still in the standard position I'm not going to make big numbers yet but that does mean I may be able to use them in a dual set up later on.

Sooo to summarise we've got a looooong way to go on this little project yet. :bigsmile:

Not sure what the colt is for I did ask but I can't remember sorry!

--------------------------------------------------------------Ooh blimey last update two months ago. :blink:

Well to be honest there's not a lot to update, as I mentioned else where today I had the tyres changed to spanky new set of Goodyear UltraGrip 8's . I wanted the performance version of the tyre but as with a lot of winter tyres featured in car reviews their only available in Europe. :(

IMG_20121224_133303_zps54336c20.jpg

I'm glad I bought them though the old tyres were good when I bought the car but in the cooler the temps they were starting to loose their bite & the old girl was getting quite tail happy at low speed, much to the terror of a mate who was following me. :p
With the new boots she's a lot more sure footed & the recent rain has proven their worth, so when the snow comes at easter, I'll be ready. :p

The second update is my crimbo pressie to me. :D
A port & polished head made from Paul Sheard, complete with vernier pulleys.

IMG_20121224_132851_zps7c704511.jpg

The plan is to have the head cleaned & rebuilt with solid followers & a some fast road cams, I'll either have the cams reground or a new pair of cams depending on cost. I've got trade tickets to the Autosport show in January & I'm hoping to talk to a few companies about cams then.

That's about it for now. :D

Brilliant updates mate! This has come quite a long way since you bought it mate!

Cheers :D Long way to go though, I've still got to raise the compression as well, still not sure if I'm going to achieve this by a cheeky head skim or doing properly with new pistons. Also Suspension brakes & body work need sorting too as well as trying to lower the seating position slightly.
Also I'd like to try make some room around the trumpets for a decent one piece filter.

that reminds me the original socks have been changed for some decent PiperX ones as the they were dissintergrating & I'm sure the engine ate a lump of foam. :blink:

Nice progress. Shame about the power output, surely 160fwhp should be up over 130 ATW? Is there an issue do you think or perhaps a tired engine? Perhaps even the dyno....go a graph?

I don't think it's a tired engine MA these engines are understressed in their non turbo form & buying a car with a 100,000+ isn't normally a worry (mines done 70K) I suspect it's the injectors to be honest.
For some reason the guys who fitted the ITB's chose to use the standard injectors in the standard position in the head, instead of using the supplied fuel rail & fitting new Pico injectors in the new manifold. I think they were trying to save me some money as the rest of the engine was currently unmodified but i would have preferred the ITB's set up as Jenvey intended. At the time I didn't make an issue of it because it took the 5/6 weeks to get to this point & I just wanted my car back.

As I understand it, the further away the injectors are away from the head the more BHP is made towards top end of the rev range & the closer they are to the head the more torque which why some set ups have two lines of injectors, one in the manifold & one in front of the inlet trumpets for high revs.

So looking at the what's involved I think I will fit the correct injectors in right place my self, but i'll wait until I've got everything else together for the next stage (exhaust manifold, raise comp, get head rebuilt with new cams), hopefully soon! :D

Last edited:
Tah Dah!
Finally got rid of the socks. :)

Popped over to Bridgenorth to see the guys at Jenvey the other day & came away with an offset airfilter backplate & after 45 minutes of creative swearing I got it swapped over. it's a tight squeeze behind the brake servo & I chamfered the tabs on the filter to make fitting a little easier, next time it comes of I think I'll bend the tabs on the back plate up a couple of degrees as well.

A friend has suggested that the two valves that are closest to the filter could be moved to the same side as the ABS unit as they're just one way valves to stop the ABS judder going back up the brake pedal & he can't see a reason why they wouldn't work on the other side, anyone got some more thoughts on that?

parp_zps3f9ae9ba.jpg

Awesome whoring photo's Loz! Looks so much better then socks! :D I didn't know Jenvey where up in Bridgenorth? I used go up there rather often....

Great choice the MX5, fun to drive and enjoy the read, great job buddy, love the V8 version and the wide arches, haven't seen that before. Love your car.

Okay my day today.

Go to work.
Get home & receive a parcel from neighbor.

R0010637_zps8ea458d9.jpg

Get very giddy & decide to fit new part straight away.

Forget that to fit a MK2 wheel to a MK1 car the wheel needs to be modified, get more tools out.

start to regret starting job as it's pitch black, the winds howling & the rain's coming down in rods.

Get wheel fitted have no idea how good it looks because it's too dark, but hey it's on!

So there we have it a Nardi steel wheel (the same as the Nardi I fitted not so long back) re-trimmed by hand in part perforated leather & plain Napa leather by Jack at Royal Steering wheels.

R0010638_zpsadd8f092.jpg

Which just so happens to match the part perforated MK2 leather seats I bought last week from a MX-5 breaker in Derby. :D

IMG_20130131_114726-2_zpsf08565c4.jpg

There's also one more thing to come to complete this little leather frenzy, but you'll just have to wait to see what that is. Oh & also you'll see I've removed the plastic door pulls & fitted some lovely leather straps made by Vlad @ Jass Performance.

Better pictures when to follow soon.

So what do you think? :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Looks fabbadabba awesomesauce! :lol:

The steering wheel and mk2 seats really lighten up and modernise the interior. such an improvement mate! :D

It looks ruddy marvellous Loz, going to have too up my game as your starting to leave me behind on the mods front ;)

Lol T9 your car is light years ahead of mine! :p

So here's a pic of the wheel on.

_MG_7302_zps33cb365f.jpg

Wide angle lens makes the gap around the air bag look huge, but its not. :cheesy:

This arrived today as well.

R0010644_zpsfafc2942.jpg

I've never amped speakers before but general consensus seems to be that they sound a lot better amped, so I have high hopes.

Just waiting for one more thing to come at the end of the week.

Blaupunkt....

Win!

Not too hard to wire up an AMP. How many channels is it?

One more thing to arrive? You do like teasing us matey! :p

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back