Loz's 1.8VVC Talon 100R

Re: Lozs Talon 100R Progress thread.

The engines fine thanks :D It's a Rover K series 1.8 vvc this particular one came from an MGF. The engine it's self is standard bar an air filter & a GTI based exhaust system, it's coupled to a low ratio PG1 gearbox with a Quaif LSD. Power output is a modest 143ish bhp. But it's enough to get the car from 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds. :bigsmile: The biggest advantage of the K series engine is it's very clever (read, awfully complex) variable valve system & it's low weight all alloy construction. The biggest disadvantage is it sometimes likes to eat head gaskets. :blink: But it's all swings & roundabouts. ;)

The engines fine thanks :D It's a Rover K series 1.8 vvc this particular one came from an MGF. The engine it's self is standard bar an air filter & a GTI based exhaust system, it's coupled to a low ratio PG1 gearbox with a Quaif LSD. Power output is a modest 143ish bhp. But it's enough to get the car from 0-60 in about 6.2 seconds. :bigsmile: The biggest advantage of the K series engine is it's very clever (read, awfully complex) variable valve system & it's low weight all alloy construction. The biggest disadvantage is it sometimes likes to eat head gaskets. :blink: But it's all swings & roundabouts. ;)

But mostly roundabouts with Rovers...lol

the engine sounds awesome, cool power, and looks like close to the one of the honda crx the 1993 model i think. that's cool.

I'll stick with MGF seats for now, I use the car everyday & many people have advised me to avoid buckets because the their not very comfortable on long journeys. I think the MGF seats are a good compromise & with the harness locked off I'm very snug too :amuse:

thats a good comparison loz :lol:
:amuse::cheesy:
----------------oOo---------------​

Right I've aquired another thing...

The current dash is ok but it needs tidying so I've bought another dash the weekend, cost me a hefty £10 :toung: The plan is to chop it down a bit fit some (secret) goodies & once I'm happy with the fit I'll send it away to be flocked.

dash.jpg

Well it's been quiet recently so I thought I'd a little up date.
Unfortunately no exciting things to report although I've finally got round to fitting the BMC CDA kit!

7cd21003.jpg

Other than that I'm just checking the car over for it's MOT soon so after fitting a new coil pack, a job that's not as straight forward as you'd think. Rover in their wisdom placed the coil pack at a low point at the back of the engine! I checked the suspension at the same time only to find a worn track rod end... sigh :( That's now sorted, however no sooner had that been fixed I picked up a large stone chip in the windscreen on the motorway! :rolleyes: So now Autoglass have been booked to fix that on friday.

In the mean time anyone got any ideas why the tick over keeps running fast (1500rpm) until I blip the throttle where it settles back to normal?

Well it's been quiet recently so I thought I'd a little up date.
Unfortunately no exciting things to report although I've finally got round to fitting the BMC CDA kit!

7cd21003.jpg

Other than that I'm just checking the car over for it's MOT soon so after fitting a new coil pack, a job that's not as straight forward as you'd think. Rover in their wisdom placed the coil pack at a low point at the back of the engine! I checked the suspension at the same time only to find a worn track rod end... sigh :( That's now sorted, however no sooner had that been fixed I picked up a large stone chip in the windscreen on the motorway! :rolleyes: So now Autoglass have been booked to fix that on friday.

In the mean time anyone got any ideas why the tick over keeps running fast (1500rpm) until I blip the throttle where it settles back to normal?

Does it do that from cold. I used to have a Vectra that did that when cold. It would rev to 1500rpm if I left it to warm up. And even when warm it would stay there until I blipped the throttle. Not sure if it's a problem or not though buddy.?

think its a rover problem mate.
the wife old 25 done it now and again it would just start revving on its own for no reason. soon as you blipped the throttle it would settle around 750rpm again.

I've had a couple of cars that won't drop the automatic choke until you have used some revs. So if it is from cold then I don't think it's anything to worry about.

nah the wifes car would do it when it was warm as well. never found out what was causing it. didnt do it all the time

Nope it's doing it warm too & it didn't do all through the really cold weather we had earlier this year either. On the way into work tonight it was going up as high as 2000rpm. If I rev it past 3500rpm it settles back to normal tickover, god knows what the people I pulled up behind thought!:lol:.
I was thinking on the way in tonight that I was doing a lot of reaching over the back of the engine over the throttle body when I changed the coil pack. So maybe I've upset something on the throttle linkage? I'll check this afternoon. Failing that, the car is also running rich so there maybe a problem with the cold start &/or the lambda sensor could also be causing this problem too. It's getting a new Lambda sensor next week.
Could it also be a faulty throttle pot possibly? Their easy to change, I may order one tomorrow & see what happens.

Why does everything happen all at once? & why just before the MOT too?! :lol::toung::rolleyes:

Last edited:

that's too complicated i think, doesn't it make hard for the intercooler?

doesnt make any difference really, the intercooler would normally be infront of the manifold. the only difference would be a longer run to the intake manifold, rather than a longer run from the turbo

Right I'm back from my adventures!
First of all sorry I didn't answer you question in time Charger & tar to TB69 providing the answer. :bigsmile:

Well the Idling problem was a cock up on my behalf! I'd tightened the jubilee clip around the throttle body too tight a distorted the body. Apparently the plastic body was never designed for jubilee clips & so was very easy to distort & affect the action of the butterfly... D'oh!
I've now got a nice shiny metal throttle body :bigsmile:

Good news is the little Rover got through the MOT after replacing the N/S wheel bearing & four indicator bulbs ( the old ones were too white). I'm glad thats over! :rolleyes::lol:

Here's something that's not really going to make the car go quicker but I though I'd share it with you.:amuse:
I saw these wipers on the Opieoils.co.uk web site (Dunno if you know, but Uncle Waynne has signed us up & we get a handy discount now :D) & I thought I'd give em a go.

5a1442fa.jpg

They are made by a company called Trico & they produce blades for almost every car

I've always liked the new style wiper blades & it'll will be interesting to see if they offer any improvements in performance.

01ee7747.jpg

The new blades housing are a little on the chunky side where the wiper arms fits.

They seem well made & Fitting was easy, if a bit messy (the blades them selves have been coated in graphite). All I have to do now is wait for some rain, shouldn't take long! :toung:

4b0a86d6.jpg

A comparison of the two, new blade on the left, old on the right.

Earlier this week I looked around for roll bar padding & I have to say (cue Victor Meldrew voice) I can't believe how expensive the stuff is! The FIA approved stuff can cost up to 25 per meter, now I know you can't put a price on safety but... wow! But there's a reason why you can't just use pipe lagging & that is pipe lagging is not flame retardant when near a flame the stuff will turn to liquid and drip, not good in car! So I shopped around & I went for the Longacre stuff it's not FIA approved but it's flame retardent & the hole is offset so more padding is where it counts. The stuff also comes pre split down the back so you can fit it over the cage easily. Here's some pic's whaddya think? ;)

3fcee8fe.jpg

It's chunkier than I expected!

cbbe3fd4.jpg

Cosy!

the look like the areo wipers on my car, nice and good in the wet

thought the same, had areo wipers on the vec, brill on motorway as dont flap about like normal ones :) tescos usually have them on buy on get one get one free :)

New wipers and new padding, you really are turning your stripped out racer into a luxury car. I hope the extra weight hasn't slowed you down!;)

LOL! The padding is a sensible addition, my head is quite close to the cage & I didn't fancy coming into contact with it in a off. As for the wipers, I'll hace to weigh them there's less metal in the new ones so they might be lighter! :lol::toung:

Good progress mate, did you go for a 52 or 56mm TB to replace your old one? That should give a noticable increse in performance :toung:

Oh and update your journal on Metropower!

To be honest I don't know :embarrest: It was on the day of the MOT & the alloy throttle body was a spare Dudley (the car who owns Talon sports cars) had & it was put on at the last min along with a wheel bearing. When I've got the bonnet off again, I'll have a look. :bigsmile:
I've read about the larger 56mm TB being a good upgrade & it was something I was going to look at. If I haven't got one, I'll get one when I get the exhaust cam changed.

To be honest I don't know :embarrest: It was on the day of the MOT & the alloy throttle body was a spare Dudley (the car who owns Talon sports cars) had & it was put on at the last min along with a wheel bearing. When I've got the bonnet off again, I'll have a look. :bigsmile:
I've read about the larger 56mm TB being a good upgrade & it was something I was going to look at. If I haven't got one, I'll get one when I get the exhaust cam changed.

The 52mm is a straight fit. Some claim the 56mm is too big and slows down the velocity of the inlet air and can cause bogging down at low revs. However i never experienced this on mine and found good power gains. The 56mm TB has one less attachment for a breather, but it can be left to vent to atmosphere or a small filter placed on the end

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back