Loz's 1.8VVC Talon 100R

Loz

Torque King
Car
MX-5
For those unfamiliar with the wee little beastie you can find some piccy's here & info on the car can be found on my profile, also Waynne has written a rather spiffy too, which you can read here. The 100R is my daily driver, occasional track day car & I've had her for about two months now. What follows is an ongoing log of my hamfisted attempts to ruin her, sorry I mean improve her. Only parts that are an improvement or help the cars performance will be considered. The maxim will definitely be 'If it doesn't make the car faster, it's not going on'!!!
I'm not the most experienced person when it comes to tinkering with cars but I will have ago at anything. So try not shout at the your computer screen too much & any advice you can offer I will happily accept :amuse:

There's already a small list of bitty jobs that need doing such as,

Curing a couple of water leaks inside the cabin.
Getting the car waxyoiled befor it starts to dissolve, it's all solid now but it won't stay that way!
Remove the tar sound proofing.
Replace seats with MG ZR or MGF seats for better support.
Replace Steering wheel with possibly an MGF item.

Air filter.
As far as performance goes 143bhp 1.8vvc engine pulls nicely & progress is quite nippy, but there's plenty of scope for improvement. So with that in mind the first thing I plan to look at is the air filter...

R0010786.jpg
R0010787.jpg

It's a simple solution but I think it can be improved upon. :amuse:

R0010783.jpg

Whipping off the air filter of reveals a 70mm O/D opening.

Now, I think I'm starting to understand what you have done Stamford. There are two pipes running from the cam cover to the intake assembly one to the front of the butterfly & the other goes into the intake manifod. I assume this carries the oil vapour to reburnt in the combustion cycle?

R0010793.jpg

Here are my first questions then
I think I'm going to go for BMC CDA filter assembly as soon as I figure out which one to buy! I want to attach it to a 90 degree silicon elbow to the inlet, what diameter hose will I need, will a 70mm hose 'stretch' over the inlet?

What can I do with the breather pipes on the cam cover, I have a hazy Idea but I'd appreciate some confirmation please. :embarrest::confused:

Thanks for looking.

Loz. ;)

Last edited:
Re: Lozs Talon 100R Progress thread.

90 degree elbow from throttle body to BMC cannistor, site this between block and battery, loads of room for it there, then duct this to a low part of the front grill if room to get as much cold air as possible.

I would suggest a CDA70-150-119 as per ZR160? here perhaps?

Oil catch tank may be useful if doing alot of track days, route this away from the inlet manifold, you'll need to work out what circuit this is, it is part of the emissions circuit, recirculating the vapours and oil residue from the cam housings.

Yep I think we're looking at the same one. There was more room than I thought in there, but I might have trouble routing to the front of the grill. The radiator takes up most of the right hand side, the only clear air gap left is in front of the exhaust manifold. I'll have to get under the car have a good look.
Will a 70mm dia elbow stetch over the 70mm dia inlet?

I'll get back to the emissions circuit tomorrow.

Thanks!

Last edited:

While waiting for the filter to turn up I accidentally went to Viking Auto Dismantlers in Kings Norton, Brum. Where I accidentally looked at some nice leather MGF seats. so imagine my suprise when I got home & I found them in the boot of my car! spooky. :amuse:

R0010798.jpg

They were quite dirty but a good clean & forty five minutes later the are looking a lot more presentable. The drivers side bolster has a small amount of wear but you wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out. All in all Not bad for a ton me thinks. :)

R0010799.jpg

Car looks super cool with just one seat in!

Now all I need to do is figure out how to swap the bases over...

I never thought about that you know! I wanted Corbeau Alpines originally which are an equally retro seat, I must be getting old or something! :confused:
Where can I get a wooden steering wheel :lol:;)

I might sell the car & buy a GT6 instead!

Seats
Oh god I wish I gone for the ZR seats now, they are a straight swap into the car, the MGF seats however. Aren't. :blink:

So here's the plan.
Remove old seats.
Remove all four seat backs from from their bases.
Pull seat covers of bases.
Put MGF seat sponge in 100 seat base.
Re-cover seat & re-attach seat back.
Put seats in car.
Phone work & explain where I've been for the last two weeks. :amuse:

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast. :bigsmile:

:lol: Should have read the instructions first, that'll teach you. Can't you just use a dob off superglue and some elephant tape?

:lol:

Are you going to post up the link to your feature article or shall I?

Tight leather trousers.

So I started in earnest this morning to change the seats.

First job remove the seat backs off all the bases.

R0010811.jpg

Next was to remove the covers of the bases.

R0010812.jpg

Then it was a case of swapping the MGF sponges into the 100 seat bases & re-covering the sponge. Then reattach the seat back to the new base. rinse & repeat. :D

R0010813.jpg

Then it was a case of re-installing the seats. It all went far too well! The only cock up I made was not realizing before half way through that, if I remove the front seat retaining bolts first & the slide stop. When I slid the seat forward I get a lot more room to get to the bolts at the back. Saving me about an hour & 1000 1/4 turns of the torx key! :embarrest::rolleyes:

R0010815.jpg

Coffee time. :amuse:

How did you know I put them in backwards the first time around? Your watching me aren't you! I see them you know,the eyes, their everywhere waiting to pinch my spanners went I'm not looking... oh yes. :blink::toung::toung:

Thanks Mate. :bigsmile: To be honest it was pretty straight forward there's just a bit of time consuming mucking about, the first seat took an hour the second took half that! I honestly thought it would be a lot more difficult, I think it's just a lack of confidence on my part :rolleyes::cheesy:

sorry 1st time is there any chance any1 knows is it poss to fit a rover 420 turbo engine in a rover 416 if so as much help as poss thanks all need some thing quicker and i just happen to hav a engine sat in my shed

A member on the ZS forum has his car with Reyland's, they are swapping his KV6 for a VAG 20v Turbo and will be running around 260 for starters. His nasp KV6 was over 205 and that has since been snapped up.

A member on the ZS forum has his car with Reyland's, they are swapping his KV6 for a VAG 20v Turbo and will be running around 260 for starters. His nasp KV6 was over 205 and that has since been snapped up.

Be interesting to see how that turns out.

It won't be that noisy, mine is quite subtle compared to some but does a superb job. At least you have a bit more room to play with compared with my engine bay. A quality piece of kit.

Don't know yet, I was thinking next week. But the car's not running right, it's down on power & the exhaust note has changed. I have a feeling the manifold is leaking or cracked I'm not sure yet. :(

Question for Stamford,

The BMC kit asks for Loctite 406 to secure the reducer to the filter body, is this what you used, or did you use normal super glue? I tried some Bostick specifically for hard plastics & the joint just pulled apart!

The only reason I'm asking about the Loctite is that the 406 is nearly £20 for a 20g bottle & I don't want to pay that for something I'm only going to use once! :toung:

I used normal superglue and it is like shoite to a blanket! The plastic is no different to that used for plumbing and conduit and uses a superglue spec bonding agent.

Cool normal super gloo it is then, thanks.

Been on Ebay again, :cheesy:

R0010820.jpg

Bought two pairs, I've got to ban myself from that site!!!:embarrest:

i am banned from when i was a kid and didnt ship and item :( regret it now paid his money back though after debate :D

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back