Lowering

G

gman

Hi everyone youv'e propbably all herd this one a few times but how much should i lower my car by ive put some 18 ich rims on and want it look that little bit lower but didn't want to over do it ive got a mk5 golf and also how do i go abouts doing , is it expensive?

hey and welcome gman.
for basic lowering go with 35-40mm
cheapest way is a set of lowering springs however this isnt to good for the dampners. for a bit more money you can get sull sport set that include the dampners and springs.
but for best go with coilover s these are expensive however they allow the most adustablitly

Alright mate, lowering your car has good points and bad points... good points are; you can go round corners a lot easier and faster (of course within the speed limit). the reason for this is that it lowers the centre of gravity on you car if you imagine a go kart compared to a double Decker bus the bus will tilt as you turn...lowering decreases this "tilt” other wise known as roll, bad points come in the form of speed bumps, pot holes, those so called "ramps" that occur with road works, and if you have low profile tyres and big wheels. here has been a few cases of wheel bearings being excessively worn, this normally only happens on older cars though as long as you ask them to check it with each MOT or Service.i would lower your car so that there is around an inch between the arch an the tyre this leavesa good gap but make sure the wheels fit within the arches. lowering springs can cost from £50 quid all the way up to around £400 fitting charges should be no more than £90, hope that helps mate any other questions give me a shout

I'd go for a set of springs mate and if your confident enough you could change them yourself. It's a simple enough job and would save you £££££'s.....:D

I've got my Civic lowered by 120mm. You will feel the road a lot more but corners are much more fun! I've got Spax coilovers and they cost me £750. Totally worth it.

How low are you thinking?

Dunno yet. I've just extended my front bumper and it scrapes now. I need to adjust that then early next year I want to get some 18's so it depends on how far they raise the car? I'm gonna have the back end slightly lower than the front cause i think it looks awesome like that......:D:D:D

Maybe?? I'm undecided whether to do the bumper and the rear an skirts as well. Or cancel it an strip it out an use it for track days next year.??? I dunno yet I think I'll decide after christmas now.... But maybe :D

I've seen a few Primera's with kits on and they have looked stunning. In fact, I had one parked next to me at Jap Show Finale! I wouldn't use it as a track car if I'm honest, I think it would be too heavy. Alternatively you can use it as an every day car, but lighten it up and prep it for a track.

I've seen a few Primera's with kits on and they have looked stunning. In fact, I had one parked next to me at Jap Show Finale! I wouldn't use it as a track car if I'm honest, I think it would be too heavy. Alternatively you can use it as an every day car, but lighten it up and prep it for a track.

It still will be used for the road sometimes as I'm getting a new car soon but keeping this 1 as a second car... Either to do as a project like the install interior bodykit etc, Or strip out the back seats and such an take to the track every month. These cars are unbelievable good handling cars and on a track would be so enjoyable. And even more fun with a few extra horses under the bonnet..;):D

It still will be used for the road sometimes as I'm getting a new car soon but keeping this 1 as a second car... Either to do as a project like the install interior bodykit etc, Or strip out the back seats and such an take to the track every month. These cars are unbelievable good handling cars and on a track would be so enjoyable. And even more fun with a few extra horses under the bonnet..;):D

Go for it mate! They do have a lot of potential both looks wise and performance wise.

What would the other car be mate?

Go for it mate! They do have a lot of potential both looks wise and performance wise.

What would the other car be mate?

I'm not sure I've got a choice of A Focus 1.6, Vectra 1.8, Astra 1.6, Or a Mazda 3 1.6... But i'm undecided and i'm not sure when i'll be able to get 1 of them..... I'm tempted by the Mazda.....:D

I think I'd go Mazda as well, but I'm biased towards Jap cars! I wouldn't go for a 1.6 Focus though. My brother has a 1.6 Zetec (05 plate) and it's incredibly sluggish. It feels very heavy as well.

I think I'd go Mazda as well, but I'm biased towards Jap cars! I wouldn't go for a 1.6 Focus though. My brother has a 1.6 Zetec (05 plate) and it's incredibly sluggish. It feels very heavy as well.

The review says the Focus it heavy. I'm leaning towards the Mazda cause of all the toys it comes with. I thinks it's a Mazda 3 takata 1.6.