Lowering my Accord tourer

Toggerefc

Wrench Pro
Car
accord2.2ictdi gt
Hi everyone, I been saying for ages I want to lower my car a couple of inches. Well I have just bought some new tyres. Instead of 225/45/18 which I normally buy I bought the 40s instead. The only thing is I think the gap above the tyre and wheel arch still looks to much. In other words not pleasing to the eye. How can 18" wheels look quite small on the Accord, I think they do. Its a job I have not undertaken myself but I think definitely worth doing myself. Any idea on what springs. Heard eibach sportline springs are decent. Lowering the car but still retain some level of comfort. Would this also cure the barge effect I get when cornering to much lean. Is there anything else I could do to improve the handling much appreciated guys. :)

Eibach springs would be the way to go first. Are your dampers old? take this into account when you replace the springs. Also remember that the car will need to settle on the new springs so don't panic if you don't see a real drop. The barge effect as you call it makes me think your dampers could do with a performance upgrade. Try the springs and see how you get on, as and when funds allow you can get replacement dampers. Plus, price up some coilovers which may work out cheaper than springs and dampers combined.

Eibach springs would be the way to go first. Are your dampers old? take this into account when you replace the springs. Also remember that the car will need to settle on the new springs so don't panic if you don't see a real drop. The barge effect as you call it makes me think your dampers could do with a performance upgrade. Try the springs and see how you get on, as and when funds allow you can get replacement dampers. Plus, price up some coilovers which may work out cheaper than springs and dampers combined.
Thanks T9 for your advice. My Accord is an 08 plate it's just past another M.O.T and service by my Honda garage. When you press down on the dampers they feel solid but when you are turning quickly you have to fight with the steering wheel to put the car where you want it. Plus the car tends to lean heavily I no the car is quite long so I think you have to work a bit harder to drive. I would like the car to be more responsive through the steering. If there was any deficiency with my dampers surely that would have been picked up on M.O.T. Also my car has just done 52,000 so not done that much work surely. What is the lifespan of a damper?.