Lowering a clio 1.2

pazzer

Car
Clio 1.2
Hey, I have a clio 1.2 and im fed up of it rolling around going into corners. Ive had a look at springs and shocks on ebay and just wondered how difficult it is to fit them. I have a standard jack at home... would you need anything a bit more hardcore to get it up?!?

cheers.

You should always get them as a set. You need to be reasonably competent at mechanics to install new shocks, it can be a bit fiddly. If I'm pulling around the suspension I'd want the car on something a lot sturdier than the standard jack.

I would drop more than about 40mm on the 1.2.

Hi there, you will need more than a standard jack. I have watched my mechanic change my shocks and it takes time and a sturdy jack is required, you wouldn't want to happen anything, you'll damage the car and god forbid yourself. Drama aside you should search for a full system (springs+shocks) since standard shock will wear much faster on lower springs since they will reach their max damping much faster and there is also a limit as to how low you can go with standard shocks. You can find various systems from bilstein (-20mm with B12 I think) to even a name that rings in any tuners head... Apex... its just a case of choice and budget.

Hope I helped.

I almost forgot... since Renault are kinda stupid... you will have to measure somethings yourself... it is a distance between the 2 holes on the shock(I just can't figure it out as why can't Renault make anything simple).Measuring this will ensure that you have the correct fit.

Pedant alert!

The springs are the shock absorbers!!!!!! If you don't believe me, try running a car without the springs and see how much shock absorbing is done by what is left.

The bit holding the fluid/gas is called a DAMPER due to what is does, despite what the Americans would like you to believe :)

Last edited: