Lower speeds in the wet

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on lower speed limits In the wet?

In some countries there Are already dual speed limits.

Does this work or should we rely on drivers using their common sense?

Generally on the motorways the majority do slow down and leave a bigger gap between vehicles. It's just the minority that don't see wet roads as being more dangerous.

^^ Herb I agree^^

France has 110k wet and 130k dry unless otherwise indicated. Provided drivers leave large enough gaps (and tyres are good) the problem isn't so much grip as it is vision impairment due to surface water spray. The irony is that good tyres in good condition create more spray than poor ones :(

Id say the problem is compedence.
For a "good" driver rain or wet conditions are not more dangerous as long as you drive accordingly.
But some people really do drive the same in the wet as in the dry.

Obi San what is needed is UNcommon sense.

IMO most drivers are oblivious of the simple fact that as tyres wear they lose the ability to displace water and the grip level decreases accordingly.

The greater problem with rain is lack of vision more than lack of grip. I am tyre fussy - very fussy indeed. Yes, wet grip will never approach dry grip all else being equal. Driving is a cognitive skill more than it is a mechanical one.

Agree ^^^ but the grip levels wet/dry are a combination of the tyres wear rating ( lower numbers more grip = more wear), age (the tyres tread compound gets progressively harder as they age), type of road surface,severity of rain.standing water and the speed involved along with the dampers ability to keep the tyres in contact with the road and speed all contribute to grip levels on any surface at any speed IMO.

On of our current affairs TV programs demonstrated this some time ago with cardboard cut out people at various positions on a track with a skilled driver trainer emergency braking from a set speed and the result was alarming with the cheap " Ching Chong " tyres "killing" a number of cardboard people before coming to a stop against the OE tyres.