Love it or leave it?

HuntingTarg

Tuner
Car
'02 Kia Spectra LS
The car I currently claim (the '02 Spectra in my profile) has just over 100K miles, and is due for some major maintenance, if not an overhaul, to keep it roadworthy and economical. In absentiam of my maintenance laundry list, is this a car worth keeping to drive?; for me to learn more about cars with?; Or should I trade it in for something newer, nicer, and lower-maintenance?

If you like it, keep it but be prepared to spend. However now might be a good time to put what you would need to spend on major work for it towards a new car that doesn't need the work.

Ok. Here's the list (mind you I do have service manual so most of this would just cost me parts and about 1 day a week while driving another car):
- New spark plugs (I used basic Nickel to get it back on the road - want to upgrade to NGK or Enerpulse's PulStar)
- New ignition coils (only need 2 for a 4-cylinder! Ingeneous)
- New timing belt (pretty sure, might be a chain)
- New valve cover gasket
- New brake pads and rotors
- Inspect brake drums (NOT looking forward to that)
- Service/replace rear wheel bearings
- Overhaul suspension ($$ here)
- Inspect steering
- Replace coolant, power steering, and brake fluids
- and if it makes it through all THAT: New wheels &tires.
[Note: With my driving conditions, KIA recommends changing the oil every 3K miles, which would happen every 2 months at current rate. I figure that if I drain/fill the transmission every oil change, I can put off inspecting the torque converter & gears until ~150K mi]
Big laundry list. I was looking for input based just on Make, model, year, and mileage, because this a known reliable car.

Wow, that's a lot for 100,000 miles. Much of it just routine stuff anyway. All cars need pads and rotors, for example.

Is this because lots of stuff has been left undone previously?

an 02 Spectra has little value in USA , BUY another car, it will be much cheaper than repairing your car!

and if maintained properly, it can last for 200K+ miles!

Wow, that's a lot for 100,000 miles. Much of it just routine stuff anyway. All cars need pads and rotors, for example.

Is this because lots of stuff has been left undone previously?
IDK; The car isn't mine (yet - it's a relative's who'd sell it to me for $500USD because she can't drive it comfortably). If I did that then I'd do all that work. It sat for 3 years before I started driving it. I want to make sure everything is in order because when it comes to cars she walks up to a mechanic, pays money and plays ostrich.
I know the rotors are warped just from driving it, I know it burns oil (not since I added Lucas!), I can SEE the gasket leak, and if I can get replacement suspension parts, I want them while they're still available because I drive in and around San Francisco. The drums and timing belt(/chain) are prudent and I know the chain is recommended in the service manual around this mileage.
Info about the tune-up will be posted elsewhere. I do have reasons.

I drive a 2004 Focus 1.8 TDCI, only done 66k but nearly 12 years old, we've had it since 18 months old. Looking at your list we've had to do similar over the years:

Service.
Service.
Service. Oil, air, pollen.
Service. Oil, air, fuel, pollen, brake fluid.
Service. Oil, air, replace exhaust mid and rear section.
Service. Oil, air.
Aircon regas
Coil springs all round. Rear antiroll bar drop links. O/S front top suspension mounting. Front discs and pads.
Service. Oil, air.
Front anti-roll bar droplinks.
Service. Oil, air, fuel, pollen. CAMBELT and auxiliary belt.
Rear brake discs and pads
Service. Oil, air, pollen. N/S track rod end replacement. Tracking.
Replace thermostat and housing and renew coolant.
New Catalyst, flexipipe and full exhaust.
So your list of work is not unreasonable - all cars need maintaining but the caveat is that at the age of yours and mine, more things will start to wear out. Yes, they can be replaced but it all costs. This is why I'm going to change mine this year to something say 3 or 4 years old, that's done the worst of its depreciation so is probably 45% of the cost of when it was new, which I will then keep for 8-10 years again. My car is actually very well specced for its age - climate, leccy windows all round, heated front screen and stuff, and still drives well but tbh I would like something more modern. It feels a little old these days.

So if you have the money I'd maybe look at something newer.

It's a hard call. I can only summarise (summarize) by saying that there's no such thing as cheap motoring. There's expensive and beyond that unaffordable ;)

i would keep it myself and learn to tinker and do as much as possible myself, more satisfying i reckon plus saves money, just about everything you have listed are service items, yes cars are expensive, but if you sell it and buy a newer model there are really no guarantees it won't need a bit spent on it

The Lucas stabilizer can sometimes give other unrequited side effects such as poor flow, poor pressure and oil starvation.
Are you acquainted with instances where Lucas may have been responsible for engine wear or damage? I ask because I have heard things said about it based on the belief that it is a thickener - to the best of my understanding, I don't believe that it is. (please note that I am aware of your stance on oil additives and would just like the opportunity to pick your brain).

an 02 Spectra has little value in USA , BUY another car, it will be much cheaper than repairing your car!

and if maintained properly, it can last for 200K+ miles!

i would keep it myself and learn to tinker and do as much as possible myself, more satisfying i reckon plus saves money, just about everything you have listed are service items, yes cars are expensive, but if you sell it and buy a newer model there are really no guarantees it won't need a bit spent on it
I tend to agree with Dale69 . If the car isn't worth much then I won't get much for it in trade-in ($500 USD minimum by law), and I intend to get a newer car for regular driving in any case. I mainly wanted to find out whether fixing up 'this old car' could turn it into a handy road asset or just become an (expensive) pet project. That way I can figure on what to fix, what to upgrade/tinker with, and what not to thow away money on.

everything that you listed can easily be done at home with basic tools, ie socket set, spanner set screwdrivers etc Except for the Rear Wheel Bearings, they may need to be taken to a friend or shop to have the old pressed out and the new pressed in, that you will need to find out, and your rear drums might need to be machined when you inspect them. Don't blow your drums out, hose them, brake dust is nasty to your lungs if inhaled.

I know in general about the bearings (I worked around motors and generators in the Navy). the biggest thing for me is needing a lift - I have two jackstands and a crawler but I need a new hydraulic jack. That plus DIY supplies for fluid changes isn't going to be precisely cheap. And I'll need to make a place for it while it's not drivable. But I totally agree with the notion of using it as a practice car. Wouldn't want to mess up any bearings or threads on a new ride!

I would shy away. It'll cost you more than buying a decent well maintained one in the long run.

I hope your project goes well for you if you decide to go with it and I'm sure you'll learn a lot from your experience.