lost performance question

puntah

Wrench Pro
Car
Honda Accord 2.0i
Howdy folks, i used to frequent this forum when i had my fiat punto... oh the days!

anyway, i have a honda accord, 98-01 5-door 2.0L VTEC. (what a mouthful).

Now this car is on an X plate, so is year 2000, and coming up 10 year old *gets the candles out*

This car had 144bhp, almost 200nm torque, and 9.6 0-60, according to parkers.co.uk.

today, my sisters fianceé and his little 1.2 corsa sxi 16v beat me... its 2006 reg, 75bhp, 95nm torque and 12s 0-60... this implies i have a problem!

So, i've decided to get:
Fresh performance oil
New oil filter
Oil additive
Gear box oil change
Gear box oil additive
Fuel additive to clean engine / injectors etc
cleaning my K&N Filter.

Is there anything else you can sugget to restore this lost performance? im' kinda upset about him beating me in a corsa :amazed:

dont bother with oil aditive unless its for replenishing rubber seals

new sparks

do you use super unleaded ? if not start using it most hondas are supposed to be run on it. also get it nice and warm and run it up higher for a while to help clean the engine ( make sure the timing belts in good condition - changed within the 4 last years ~40k miles) - before doing this. 2nd gear should be good enough for around 55-60mph. do a couple of runs in 2nd - 3rd if you have a closed road - from 2k to redline whih is around 6.5k. then run as normal for a while to allow oil to cool down then then back up to 5.5-6k and hold it for a min or two.

recently had new titanium spark plugs fitted, don't usually run on super, but am tempted to start doing so. Timing belt was changed 1.5 years ago, and less than 40k.

sounds like fun, ragging my poor little car about. which to be fair i do anyway... open roads are my playground.

Well i'm getting a new batch of performance oil in there, not changing any seals though so would you say its worth adding some additive just to make sure they're in good nick?

i personally dont add anything to the oil dont see the point as long as you use decent oil.

does the car smoke at all ? if not i wouldn't.

check the inside of the ffuel cap as itll say 95 or 99 ron minimum. if its supposed to be on 98/99 ron you could find the ECU going to a different map to stop knocking.

also youve got the extra weight. remember a corsa is very light compare this to the better built accord

yea, but surely... the 0-60 time being faster, means generally it will be faster?

i've got the oil additive ordered, but can keep that in the garage or the boot untill i need it. you think the other stuff like the gearbox oil chagne etc will be useful?

it was off the line, we'd just set off from the traffic lights. well i'm getting all the bits for it for £30 and the labour is only £20 + a takout. (mates rates).

i'm planning on a hot swappable de-cat pipe, the bloke will flange the cat, and get a straight through pipe flanged also, so i can swap before and after an MOT, that should free up a few BHP, also help it sound nicer. already got a backbox and a cherry bomb lol.

Welcome back! At what point were you changing gear? Honda's love to be revved, look at the red line and change up just before you get to within 400 rpm of the redline.

Are the wheel bearings in good condition and are the wheel all pointing dead straight?;) If the wheel alignment is out it can rob you of acceleration.

Are you carrying much in your boot? A spare gearbox, engine or a baby elephant can really slow up a car.;)

Are you carrying much in your boot? A spare gearbox, engine or a baby elephant can really slow up a car.
lmfao!! that made my day, thank you!

Cherrybomb + Backbox. (exhaust mods)

I replaced the centerbox with a cherybomb:
http://www.cherrybomb.com/, and as for a the backbox, i was given a standard MR2 backbox, cut off my horrible looking standard accord one and fitted that, overall the sound is much nicer, deeper growl.

i was changing about 5k revs, the redline is 6.5k i beleive, so that might have had a little something to do with it... i don't like revving my car too high, cos when i put the clutch in, the clutch pedal vibrates for a few sceonds... its something to do with the clutch, apparently a part of it may be warped or somethin. but i don't really have the £300 handy to get a performance clutch, then the £200 to get it fitted lol.

Wheel bearings... couldn't tell you! the steeringwheel doesn't wobble, so i'm assuming the allignment is okay, but i may be wrong. any other way to tell ?

I wonder if the clutch is losing you some power. If the clutch is slipping then that may well be where your power is going astray. I don't think you really need a power clutch unless you up the power by 30% or more.

Honda engines love to be revved but if there is a dodgy clutch then you are right to ease off a bit. What is the mileage like?

silly question, i'm lookin round for a clutch, and sites are asking which car i have... now the options its given me are:

honda > ACCORD 1998-02
Please Select a Model. Model Modelcode Chassis type / Engine No Year
1.8i ( Petrol ) CH6 F18B2 01/98-12/02
1.8i ( Petrol ) CG8 F18B2 01/98-12/02
2.0i Coupe ES ( Petrol ) CG4 F20B5 01/98-12/02
2.0I ( Petrol ) CH7 F20B6 01/99-12/02
2.0i ( Petrol ) CG9 F20B6 01/98-12/02
2.2i Type R ( Petrol ) CH1 H22A7 01/99-01/02
2.3i Type V ( Petrol ) CL3 F23Z5 01/01-12/02
3.0i Coupe V6 ( Petrol ) CG2 J30A1 01/98-12/02

Now i know i have a 2.0i petrol, F20B6 engine, but which style do i have? Ch7 or CG9?
also, where can i find a list of these "styles" with pictures, so i which ones which for future reference?

might be worthwhile taking it to a motor factors and asking them. i found this when i was trying to get parts for parents car, turned out the same as theres more than 1. they had a quick look at the car and were able to get the parts

yea, they're smexy :D now i'm lookin at a twin jap style backbox, and i've heard this exact box on a standard golf, so loud!!!

As i mentioned, my friend is gonna give the engine a flush, some new oil, injector cleaner in the fuel tank... the parts never turned up on time, as he said so he checked my oil... and we found out why the engine sounds a little noisey...

Theres almost no oil showing on the dipstick! lmfao, so i'm back there tonight, parts should arrive today, and get it all sorted.

Would lack of oil in the engine (which i might point out was pretty black rather than golden) cause power loss too?

Last edited:
Is your VTEC working? You should feel a definite step change at around 4200rpm iirc - I had a T reg Accord 2.0 for a while. Also aye, you need to rev its knackers off to get the performance. Get your clutch sorted and then, if you need to get moving, rev the nuts off it. It's a Jap engine, they're designed and built for this, as long as you're sensible and don't do it when cold then it should be fine.

well guys. i had the oil etc done just now... it was so black... and i mean BLAAACK!

well, thats now nice and clean, the VTEC works just fine, i spend most my time in VTEC if i can, lol. oil change, oil filter, injector cleaner... didn't bother with the oil additive and gearbox etc, as advised ppls on here, and it seems better already. the jap exhaust mentioned previousely, was £120, i'm gettin it for £50. i love mates rates!

so that'll be getting fitted soon, might get some pics up sometime for you to see :)

now its just the clutch is the next thing. you guys reckon a standard clutch will do the trick?

hell yeah the standard cluth will be sufficient unless your slipping it all the time. hondas are rather torque shy.

if your in the vtec alot keep an eye on the oil level as iirc it uses around 1ltr per 1000 miles

if it really was that bad it might be worth doing it again shortly. did you change the oil when it was hot ?

yea, it was warm. not hot, but warm. the container woulda made a great hot water bottle lol. that explains where my oil is going then!

i've tried adding a few pics of my car, and a few pics of the new exhaust i'll be putting on shortly.

(most people will say its a disgrace to the honda community, but its for me, not them :) ) ENJOY!

Attachments

• 28052009038.jpg
    28052009038.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 28052009041.jpg
    28052009041.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 09082009083.jpg
    09082009083.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 09082009084.jpg
    09082009084.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I was gonna put one of them exhausts on my old Primera. I think they look sweet. Let me know how it sounds mate cause my Cab may get one put on shortly.

tellin you now, it sounds sweet. heard one on a golf with a standard exhaust system, and dear god it was nice!!

got the exhaust, as you can see... just need to get the cash to fit it :D

well i don't have a welder, or the time to do it.

should only be about £50 anyway, my mates mate who's owns a garage needs the business so help out the local, he'll look after you! lol

so tired... >.<