loss of power

prevtec

Pro Tuner
Car
prelude 2.2vtec jap
iv come across a problem (eventually)

its when im driving along and everything is ok, but when i stop at a set of lights and go to take off
theres a lack of power for a second or 2 and then shes grand.(this dosent happen all the time)

ive had this problem before when the seals that sit by the sparkplugs were leaking
but thats not leaking anymore,
could it be the leads???

im open to suggestions , is there a way you can tell if the leads are beyond their sell by date??

Does this happen when the engine cold/warm or does this not matter?
dosent matter

talking to a mate of mine awhile ago and he said its either a fuel pump or the injectors are a bit blocked

i have been driving on reserves alot latley
im open to your advise anyway mate just incase its not either of the above

could be youve picked up some crap off the bottom of the tank.
put some vpower and injector cleaner and go for a blast
yes, that vpower is serious stuff,but we dont have shell petrol stations over here anymore,
their called topaz now,and they only do the 95 octane
what a load of #!#!#!#!

bought myself a bottle of spectrum D, if youve ever heard of it
suposidly, its very good for pre mot,nct so il give that ago tomorrow and let you know

thanks mate

Bp ultimates quite good as well.
also nticed tescos is now selling 99 octane stuff, that is if your wanting to risk it.
yeah, ive heard that about their petrol alright
to be honest, i dont fancy their food either

back to the subject of loss of power,,
what do you know about having a crack or hole in a exhaust manifold???

i have a noise coming from my engiene now and its like having a blow in an exhaust, but its in the engiene bay(if you know what i mean)
my mate said its a hole in the exhaust around the engiene,but im paronoid its a different problem
now theres no knocks or anything like that, just the blow
and no eng management lights on either

im then looking on the brighter side and saying to myself, well it is first day exhaust, well it looks like 1st day anyway
and theres holes all over the back box,so it is old

any help is again appriciated mate
ive downloaded a manual for the prelude, but cant find anything so

ps; latley im getting a smell of car fumes through the car
would this add up to why i have 1, the smells, 2 loss of power 3, the blow noise??? is it all related???
ive never had a problem like this in any car, so im cluless to what it is
i can live with things like that, but if the engiene ever goes, il snap
thats why im paronoid

You can check for exhaust leaks by using a torch at night with the engine running. The escaping gas really shows up then. It sounds like a worn joint to me. Check the headers, catalyst and flexijoint in particular.

Loss of power is not usually caused by an exhaust leak but the smell and noise is.

You can check for exhaust leaks by using a torch at night with the engine running. The escaping gas really shows up then. It sounds like a worn joint to me. Check the headers, catalyst and flexijoint in particular.

Loss of power is not usually caused by an exhaust leak but the smell and noise is.
nice 1 mate, im taking the heat sheild off now and il have a look later on with a torch as you said

as for the power its still fast, its just not fully perfoming
if theres fumes escaping from the manifold and my cold air intake is breathing them in, would that have an effect???
kind of like hot air is bad for it, the colder the air the better for performance??

Yup -thats about right. The thing is that a little heat on a cold engines intake will improve vapourisation and allow the engine to work better.

it was a load of pinholes in my back box, checked the manifold with a light and nothing there so the lads welded up the back box and its sorted, no more blows or smells

as for my loss of power, it was blocked injectors
just to mention for anyone reading this

Spectrum D is brillant if ye can get it in the uk
cleans injectors, adds bhp, lowers emissions for mot, improves fuel consumtion.. it has done 3 out of 4 of theese for me, dont know about the emissions 1 though, i havent checked that

so i guess its the end of that post,
just to say thanks lads for your advise on everything
top guys waynne and pgarner;):)