Loss of acceleration

aworsley4

Tuner
Car
VW Polo 1.0L
Hello all. I have a 1.0L Polo (1999). Recently my car had a sudden loss of acceleration whilst driving. I have discovered that this problem only occurs once my engine gets to temperature and if i depress the accelerator pedal more than 2cm down. If i gently nudge the accelerator it pulls away fine ( all beit very slowly). I beleive its something to do with the fuel/air mix or vacuum loss. Any help much appreciated :blink:

i have this also..

but only sometimes :s
exactly the same car 1.0l 6n but i put my foot down say and there just no acceleration and then all of a sudden it does, also it can judder like im tryin pull away in 5th gear or something even though im in 1st.

im not sure if its temperature because for me it can do it when its first started up and sometimes when its been running for awhile :s and then some days it never happens! or rarely happens.

so im not sure if its not enough air getting through or to much fuel getting in or not enough fuel i just dunno :(

the 1.0 iirc is carb driven isnt it?

remember you are talking about cars over 11 years old now, the vac pipes might be starting to deteriorate,
or the intake could be full of crud, throttle body though the manifold

thanks for respondin. Ive taken the throttle body off an given it a bloody good clean. Which did bugger all. Today i put some fuel system cleaner in and so far so good it hasnt re occurred. Will keep you posted.

alas the fuel system cleaner did sod all also. What i plan to do is put up with it for now until i can afford to pop a new bigger :) engine in

have ya checked that your airfilter is free from debris, i had a 2001 polo 1.0 6n and mine did the same thing, my filter was bunged up to hellfordshire!

ive had a quick look but ive got a K&N 57i an its only been on 4 months but there is some crud in it. I have a feelin its somethin more sinister than that but i will give it a good clean and cross my fingers yet again. Lookin on the internet it seems to be a common (horrible) problem with the polo. My local VW dealer quoted roughly 200 Quid just to diagnose it as the list of reasons is endless. That was after the guy laughed at me. So im gonna do it myself lol

u know where your coming from as my punto 1.1 did the same sort of thing.while in 1st building up the revs then no power.bout a second or 2 later it would surge out of no where and i nearly crashed lol.i put fuel injecter cleaner in new fuel pump and a new induction kit aswell as a full service.not had any problems from it yet......

yeah im having the same problem mine will get sluggish around 3000 revs most of the time in 3rd gear and it startts nudging to go but it holds it self back i thought it was ebcuase i filled up with cheap asda petrol would love to know what it is as i dont have the money for a garage to fix it at the moment

i reli dont know what to suggest without incurring a large garage bill. In 2 months im droppin a 1.4 16 valve in so im just gonna put up with it i think

i think i know wat the engine splutter is, it is a fuel filter clogged up hoping if i get a full service then they will clean out the filter :) or even replace it and that may solve the problem :)

i suggested that at a vw dealer an he said it probably not that but for the price an 20 mins of my time i myt try that as well

how much is that costing you to put a 1.4 16v engine in?? and i found the problem for me the problem was it needed new spark plugs and leads :) so cheap as chips

i had new plugs an leads recently so still a mystery to me. Im gettin it done an ive been quoted 1600 with new gearbox an 3 year warranty which not bad for a second hand engine

checked my ht leads today an they were all cakked up with green copper residue so im replacin em tomorrow nyt. Let you know if it resolves the problem

yeah problem solved. After all that it was the leads at the dizzy end. I ruled them out cos i only bought em a year ago. Shows the difference when buyin cheap parts tho

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back