Looking to upgrade from 1.3 4EFE to 1.6 4AGE

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Paul Hallett on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:51 pm: Edit

I have bought a 1.3 Toyota Corolla 1.3 GLi and want to turn it into my track day fun. I believe the model is EE101 which is, ostensibly, the same as the 1.6 model AE101. I think, therefore, that I can drop the 1.8 motor from the Corolla 1.8 GXi straight in. I, also, understand this engine can come in a variety of flavours up to 134 bhp. If this can be fitted into the liftback, does anyone have any resources about it? Can I do it? If so, I intend on new zoorst, cams, throttle bodies and management system. I am hoping for a, relatively, cheap 180 bhp. I am also stripping the interior and taking all unnecessary electrics out and removing the glass from all windows sauf the windscreen. Can anyone see problems for me or is this, again relatively, easy to do? Could I slap in a 2 litre motor with little cutting and shutting? Any advice will be ghratefully received. Please use my hotmail account to send any info you ave. If there is none forthcoming, please wish me luck!

By Paul Hallett on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 01:54 pm: Edit

It's just me: You can email me on phallett at hotmail dot com of paul dot hallett at gmail dot com

By Mickanic on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Hi Paul- Quite a project you are undertaking. Just a suggestion - look at the Celica engines as well - there are more mod options available for them.

With the Corolla there is a big ground clearance problem - I really recommend large wheels - 17's or bigger if they fit into your arches and don't go too low with the suspension (Stiffer is good). I've seen a 1.8 turbo corolla but can't remember what the donor was.

By Paul Hallett on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 08:50 am: Edit

Hi,

I have looked at the Celica but as I am only really into getting the car up to around 180 bhp, I am not too keen to go the Celica route. I saw someone got an st205 into a corolla and have 325 through the front wheels! I don’t want to kill myself, I just want a very fast sprint, road car. 180 bhp in a Corolla that’s been on a diet should give about 9.5 lbs per bhp, or about that of an M5 and better than an M3. With shorter gearing, I reckon on the Rolla being very quick. Now it currently has a 4EFE motor at 1.3 litres and is known as the EE101 model. Now the one after, same body, same style, has the 4AGE motor at 1.6 litres known as the AE101. I see no structural difference and wondered if I could simply drop the 4AGE motor into my car with no serious modifications? If so, I can then spend winter building the motor ready for next spring? I reckon on £800 being enough for 180 – 185 bhp, probably less money if I source the parts from the states. Anyone reckon I am insane or is this a simple enough job?

Regards

Paul