Locking wheel nut lost!

Wrench Pro
Car
BMW 320d
I need help guys! I need to remove my back wheels to get the tyres changed soon but I have lost my locking wheel nut! Its been in my tool box for years but now its disappeared! Does anyone know where I can get one? (maybe someone has a spare on here??) :blink1:

I have a BMW E36 T Reg Coupe (318is) got 17" alloys on.

Any help would be awesome!

Strange, this very subject was discussed only recently, so fear not, the answer will be along before you know it ;)

They are all different (or there are at least a lot of different types) for each model. A breakers yard might have some old locking nut keys that will fit if you are lucky. They may even have to drill out the nut head and pull out the screw thread to get them off in a worst case scenario.

I've known them also weld a standard bolt to the old one to get the old one out so there are options that don't involve sawing through the axles.

I wouldn't even try to buy the right one. I've known similar looking keys to fail to work because the spacing is a few fractions of a MM out. A BMW dealer might suceed where a tyre fitter doesn't but thinking of the cost i'd go the tyre dealer route first or at least ring both for an idea of what sort of costs/hassle is involved.

Just get a new set of locking nuts so these can be swapped out, the last thing you want is someone nicking your new wheels/tyres.

Good point! I will phone a few places tomorrow as its going to be sods law that I get a puncture soon!

I just cant believe its not in its original place! :blink:

It's worth trying BMW to see if they have a matching key, or can order you one in. For example there is a coloured sticker on the bag my wheel nut is in, if I lose the nut I tell Ford the colour and they can order me a new one.

It's worth trying BMW to see if they have a matching key, or can order you one in. For example there is a coloured sticker on the bag my wheel nut is in, if I lose the nut I tell Ford the colour and they can order me a new one.

Cheers, there are a few BMW dealers in Cardiff so will try tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Two options. Talk to your local garage. They have special sockets for undoing locking wheel nuts. They can either undo them for you or maybe lend/hire the sockets to you.

Alternatively, I bought a set of 3 locking wheel nut removers from my local motor factors. I think they were made by Lazer (or Laser).

i used the ones OG has mentioned when my key broke, didnt work by hand as the thread couldnt get a grip on the head of the bolt but with the air gun it just spun the old one out - the inside of the sockets are tapered left hand threads so tighten onto the head as it spins.

but BMW should have a master set that they can order one up for you

Two options. Talk to your local garage. They have special sockets for undoing locking wheel nuts. They can either undo them for you or maybe lend/hire the sockets to you.

Alternatively, I bought a set of 3 locking wheel nut removers from my local motor factors. I think they were made by Lazer (or Laser).

How much were they if you dont mind me asking?

i used the ones OG has mentioned when my key broke, didnt work by hand as the thread couldnt get a grip on the head of the bolt but with the air gun it just spun the old one out - the inside of the sockets are tapered left hand threads so tighten onto the head as it spins.

but BMW should have a master set that they can order one up for you

Cheers, will let you know how I get on

halfords do have sets of locking wheel nuts, but they're about 30 quid. some bloke came in on sunday for some. for a BMW actually. and they were £29.99...

halfords do have sets of locking wheel nuts, but they're about 30 quid. some bloke came in on sunday for some. for a BMW actually. and they were £29.99...

I got mine from there. They're McGards which aren't too bad.

The last time I mentioned that lot in a negative sentence on here, I was put into the stocks and had rotten fruit thrown at me :lol:

Well, the Northampton (Kingsthorpe) branch are useless. I can't put what I actually want to because swearing is not permitted on this forum.

I used them in December when we had snow to change over some tyres for me. It shouldn't have taken long, but 2 hours later they still hadn't done it. It wasn't until I walked back in to find out what the hell was going on they actually got on with (it would have been sooner but I went to visit my Nan and Grandad whilst I was waiting). Normally I would have taken the car and gone but it was late, rush hour time and I needed it done that day. Eventually after doing the job I only payed half price (too sodding right) and earlier this week after having a flat I couldn't undo the bolts they had over-tightened. I ended up having to get my rather large best friend to come over and stand on the brace to get the bolts undone. After we eventually got them off I found that they had all beed stressed too much and the thread had been stretched. Luckily I have new ones ready and waiting!

Now take a guess at what I really want to type above!

I have a very strong feeling, I know what you really want to say Prince! pity it's not allowed even in the Rant Room! :)

There is very little difference in e36 locking wheel nuts if any, i have removed countless sets with a couple of keys, go to a breakers yard and get one, get a hammer, smack it in there, it may even fit straight in