"Little black dress" of the car world

aston

The Torque Meister
Car
VOLVO and VW
I am trying to figure out what is the all in one swiss army knife/little black dress of the car world, (Preferably in my case a diesel for under £1500),
This was covered a couple of times in conversation on "Top Gear", They agreed on the VW Golf, Subaru Legacy Estate and of course the Range Rover over the years,
Now my Mondeo has gone i need a car for work, the criteria is that it has to be under £1500, reliable, excellent on fuel, low maintenance and a pleasure to drive when wide awake and also relaxing when tired, O yes and a little black dress,,,,,,,, Suitable for all occasions and yes i am thinking Golf as well

Golf GTI TD with a remap to 180. This will return 50-65mpg and be pretty nippy and cheap to run. High mileage examples should be dropping into your price range about now and it is a buyers market so make a low offer and you never know!

Get a bora instead, always cheaper than the equivalent golf and much less likely to have been in the hands of boy racers. Get a 130 sport and remap it.

I would be thinking more towards another Mondeo, the mk3 models are dropping in price as well and the derv versions are quite pokey, they are very handsome and well proportioned cars that should stay looking good against the current crop for a long while. The Titanium models have lovely sets of alloys on them as standard and that's really all that will cost you, tires for a set of 18"s

IMO anyway

Golf GTI TD with a remap to 180. This will return 50-65mpg and be pretty nippy and cheap to run. High mileage examples should be dropping into your price range about now and it is a buyers market so make a low offer and you never know!

As a buyer, it's even better if your holding the folding! :lol:
Cash is still King! ;)

I would be thinking more towards another Mondeo, the mk3 models are dropping in price as well and the derv versions are quite pokey, they are very handsome and well proportioned cars that should stay looking good against the current crop for a long while. The Titanium models have lovely sets of alloys on them as standard and that's really all that will cost you, tires for a set of 18"s

IMO anyway
I think i would have to agree, I bought a 52 plate last month for a grand, seems fine as a daily driver, although the economy is only 39mpg over the past 900 miles.

Seat Toledo TDi 1.9TDi would suit well. Or how about a Toyota Avensis?

Why not spend a little bit more and get a car you can keep for 3-4 years? It's likely to prove cheaper overall than keep changing cars.

Last edited:
Seat Toledo TDi 1.9TDi would suit well. Or how about a Toyota Avensis?

Why not spend a little bit more and get a car you can keep for 3-4 years? It's likely to prove cheaper overall than keep changing cars.

Cheers, but if I don't drive every car that takes my fancy (over 60 to date in 20 years) I'd have no hobby so to speak. I would have kept my Mondeo but alas I don't wish to pay for repairs, Yeah, I want to drive them all............,,,,,,,,,,,,

I've driven far more than 60 cars in my time but have only ever owned 7.
I have driven 8, owned 1
My Astra
Renault Clio
Pug 106
KIA Sportage
Suzuki Swift
Another Astra 1.8 though
BMW 318(E46)
BMW 325(E36)

Last edited: