Limited Performance error message on my Aero 9.3 190 TTiD

Rim

Car
Saab Aero 9.3 TTiD
Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with you a recent problem with my Saab, and to ask for your advice at the same time. This is, I'm sure, in keeping with the spirit of this web site of which I am a member.
My 2008 Saab Aero 9.3 1.9 TTiD with a bit over 121000 kms. put up an error code on the SID: Limited Performance". This message was accompanied by an abrupt reduction in speed. ( I had not been driving faster than 110km/hr. ) The performance of the car became limited. I was not able to accelerate… No telltale smoke, engine noise or other indications came to my attention. I pulled over and cut the engine. A minute later I restarted and drove off as if nothing had happened. The error message was gone. A short while later, 5 kms, the event repeats itself.

I visit my Saab mechanic the following day and leave the car with him for a checkup. The telephone call the next day sets me back. A good thing I was sitting down. The turbo (one of them because this model is equipped with two) is "dead". Ok I don't have a choice so the order is to replace the turbo.

The turbo is replaced by an original GM part. The particle filter is "regenerated", motor oil and filter changed.. The cooling system is purged and replenished. The car is road tested.

I pick up my car and pay the bill! Aie aie aie. Needless to say my summer vacations this year will not be what I'd planned.

On the way home the event repeats itself. I drive back to the garage.. They don't have an answer. They are embarrassed and I'm upset. I leave them the car.

A week later I get the call I was waiting for: Your car's ready sir.

What was done? A new intake manifold is installed. (The replaced part, which I have, was quite dirty with ??? stuff that might have been interfering with proper air intake.) The EGR was removed and cleaned. The car was road tested. I am not billed for this work. They tell me that if the event reoccurs I'll have to think about replacing the whole EGR module ( part n° 55212233 or 55212234). That is, the part onto which the EGR valve (which was cleaned) is installed. They tell me that this part might be clogged with soot, etc… thereby impeding a correct breathing/airflow pattern. On the way home the car is almost normal. Something is not 100%. Then, the Limited Performance is up, again, on the SID. At this point I'm close to blowing a 50 amp fuse.

I love this Saab. And it's my second one. The first one ( a 9.5 Aero) saved my life when I was involved in a high speed accident and where there were serious physical injuries to some of the passengers riding in the vehicles that impacted mine. Saab is a lifesaver. I'm a living witness.

So, in conclusion, I'm thinking of other alternative solutions like: Kent Turbo FAP (Particle Filter) Cleaner, Bardahl has a solution which injects in doses a cleaner into the intakes while the car is up in the 3400 revs… Can anyone help me on this issue? By the way I don't believe I have seen anyone on this website bring up a problem like this. Perhaps this thread could be source of information to other Saab owners.

You've been patient up to now if you've gotten to these last lines. Thanks for your help.

Hi buddy, it sounds like the garage you are using are just taking guesses at the problem. Do you know if they used a proper Saab Tech II diagnostic unit? I would be very surprised if they did and had to guess at a turbo issue and then get that wrong.
I am no Saab diesel expert you understand but first I would take a look through your owners manual for the ECU fuse and then remove this for about 30 minutes or so. After this you will need to do an adaption drive where your ECU will start to relearn how you drive and make the necessary adjustments. If the car still messes about after this then I would go elsewhere for advice and possibly the work to be done on the car. You could try these people in France, they are based in Paris and are very good by all accounts: http://www.rbmperformance.com/

Let us know how you get on :)

I took my car in for a full BG intake clean at a local garage and I really rate the results, they did a good job and it made a noticable difference.

I feel for you there is nothing more frustrating than a car with a phantom fault that you can't track down easily.

I gather that the swirl flaps can be rascals on this which can get stuck and cause the car to display similar symptoms. It is moved via a vacuum pipe and the actuator can become stuck. Also have a look at the DPF and EGR apparently.

Worth a look!

Hi Everyone,

I would like to share with you a recent problem with my Saab, and to ask for your advice at the same time. This is, I'm sure, in keeping with the spirit of this web site of which I am a member.
My 2008 Saab Aero 9.3 1.9 TTiD with a bit over 121000 kms. put up an error code on the SID: Limited Performance". This message was accompanied by an abrupt reduction in speed. ( I had not been driving faster than 110km/hr. ) The performance of the car became limited. I was not able to accelerate… No telltale smoke, engine noise or other indications came to my attention. I pulled over and cut the engine. A minute later I restarted and drove off as if nothing had happened. The error message was gone. A short while later, 5 kms, the event repeats itself.

I visit my Saab mechanic the following day and leave the car with him for a checkup. The telephone call the next day sets me back. A good thing I was sitting down. The turbo (one of them because this model is equipped with two) is "dead". Ok I don't have a choice so the order is to replace the turbo.

The turbo is replaced by an original GM part. The particle filter is "regenerated", motor oil and filter changed.. The cooling system is purged and replenished. The car is road tested.

I pick up my car and pay the bill! Aie aie aie. Needless to say my summer vacations this year will not be what I'd planned.

On the way home the event repeats itself. I drive back to the garage.. They don't have an answer. They are embarrassed and I'm upset. I leave them the car.

A week later I get the call I was waiting for: Your car's ready sir.

What was done? A new intake manifold is installed. (The replaced part, which I have, was quite dirty with ??? stuff that might have been interfering with proper air intake.) The EGR was removed and cleaned. The car was road tested. I am not billed for this work. They tell me that if the event reoccurs I'll have to think about replacing the whole EGR module ( part n° 55212233 or 55212234). That is, the part onto which the EGR valve (which was cleaned) is installed. They tell me that this part might be clogged with soot, etc… thereby impeding a correct breathing/airflow pattern. On the way home the car is almost normal. Something is not 100%. Then, the Limited Performance is up, again, on the SID. At this point I'm close to blowing a 50 amp fuse.

I love this Saab. And it's my second one. The first one ( a 9.5 Aero) saved my life when I was involved in a high speed accident and where there were serious physical injuries to some of the passengers riding in the vehicles that impacted mine. Saab is a lifesaver. I'm a living witness.

So, in conclusion, I'm thinking of other alternative solutions like: Kent Turbo FAP (Particle Filter) Cleaner, Bardahl has a solution which injects in doses a cleaner into the intakes while the car is up in the 3400 revs… Can anyone help me on this issue? By the way I don't believe I have seen anyone on this website bring up a problem like this. Perhaps this thread could be source of information to other Saab owners.

You've been patient up to now if you've gotten to these last lines. Thanks for your help.
Hi everyone. I have 2 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD cars and both have suffered limited power issues. I have read lots of forums and there doesn't seem to be one solution. I have read where people have changed lots of expensive parts with no result. I may have stumbled on the cause/solution. DO NOT USE CHEAP FUEL. Supermarket and other cheap fuels like Applegreen, do not have the additives that branded names have, at a little extra cost. I ran the tank until almost empty and put Shell Vpower diesel in (20 litrs). After 15 miles, all the power came back. Switch off and restart, 'limited power' notice disapeared. All is back to what it used to be. I hope it lasts. Try this before spending loads on garage bills, where quite frankly, they haven't got a clue. Please report back.

Interesting, the cleaners they put in fuel can make a real difference as can the higher octane.

Thanks for adding this tip, this thread gets quite a few reads so you may well have saved much expense and time wasting.

Hi everyone. I have 2 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD cars and both have suffered limited power issues. I have read lots of forums and there doesn't seem to be one solution. I have read where people have changed lots of expensive parts with no result. I may have stumbled on the cause/solution. DO NOT USE CHEAP FUEL. Supermarket and other cheap fuels like Applegreen, do not have the additives that branded names have, at a little extra cost. I ran the tank until almost empty and put Shell Vpower diesel in (20 litrs). After 15 miles, all the power came back. Switch off and restart, 'limited power' notice disapeared. All is back to what it used to be. I hope it lasts. Try this before spending loads on garage bills, where quite frankly, they haven't got a clue. Please report back.
Hi everyone, I too have this problem develop. This will be the 3rd time it has happened in 3 months. First they replaced the glow plugs, then they changed some fuel solenoid & now, who knows. I am going to take your advice Steve about the fuel. I will keep you posted. Katrina.

Hi
I am having the exact same problem. Previous with this problem it was the primary fuel pump that is fitted in the diesel tank , I thought that it was the same issue again because of the exact same symptoms except this time after restarting it would die again a lot sooner. Previous I would lose power but it would not completely stall and the fuel pump that I got changed cured it. We are now about to change the needle metering valve so I will let you know if it cures it

Bad news for me. The metering control valve has not worked. It's looking like the main injector pump isn't letting in the low pressure diesel from the fuel tank pump