Lightweight vs. Grip - Which is Most Important?

TRD4Runner

Car
Toyota 4Runner
I have a performance Toyota 4Runner that I've built up to around 375 HP. I don't offroad in it so it spends its life on the pavement. I am due for tires in the next year or so and I've been looking at two separate tires, one being the Firestone Destination LE3 and the other being the Continental TerrainContact H/T. There's not a ton of good options for 265/70R16 tires that give good grip as most are All-Terrain or off-road tires. I am looking at these tires because they both exhibit very good wet grip. If you have any performance tire recommendations for this size please let me know.

The Firestone LE3's have good wet grip and weigh 35 lbs. each, for 140 lbs. total
The Continental's have good wet grip and better dry grip and braking distance and weigh 39 lbs. each for 156 lbs. total.

There's a difference of 16 lbs. of rotating mass between the two. What is more important from a performance perspective, dry grip or rotational mass reduction? I don't track my 4Runner as it's an SUV after all but I do a lot of pulls from a stoplight, sign, and dry grip is an issue. I can't go full-throttle as I just spin the tires and not actually move. If it matters, I plan on installing lightweight wheels that will drop the weight by 12 lbs. total. My current tires weigh 39 lbs. each. Let me know what your experience has been!

Both are needed, I have no experience with these tires, but they have decent comments online. You may want to take a look at [advertising removed as per T&Cs] for additional options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it does matter when it comes to weight, I'm actually working on a video discussing this, if I can get the edit rushed through I'll post up ASAP rather than at the weekend.

Handling is important and heavy always deteriorates your handling, no matter what extra grip is on offer, the more people can reduce unsprung weight and the rotational mass of the wheel the better.

For better traction, look at torque sensing diffs (Torsen) they make a big difference, what is happening is all the power is going to one wheel, so it's not so much a loss of grip but uneven distribution of power.

Thank you! That was super helpful and is having me lean towards the lighter tire (or tyre for the UK folks :p). I did have a Detroit Tru-Trac put in a few years ago and it did help a ton in dry driving. I found that my wet traction has worsened as before I'd just have one rear tire slip on slick surfaces, where now both do! Thankfully I live in California where the roads are dry 8-9 months out of the year.

Just remember that torque sensing diffs need both tyres on the ground to work as designed otherwise they act like an open diff.