Light Weight Flywheel?

Aikmanson

Torque Junkie
Car
1995 Saab 900 2.0T
What are the benefits of a lighter, higher performance flywheel? From what i understand the engine will be turning a lighter flywheel meaning it should in fact produce more power? Or maybe I am totally wrong, still rather new at this, even if my pops is a mechanic.

Im looking to match a lighter flywheel with a high performance clutch and viggen pressure plate.

as i understand the history of flywheels , they were first designed as a storage device (to store energy between fireing strokes on early engines with oversquare stroke to bore ratio ) As engines have become refined the relative size necessary to maintain smooth idle has become secondary to maintaining enough surface area to transmit the ever increasing horse power gains manufacturers obtain , while still having a drivable clutch pedal. the advantage of a lighter flywheel is that the engine uses less energy in rotating the mass of the flywheel , in turn this allows the engine to reach maximun rpm quicker
THIS MEANS THAT YOU CAN ACCELERATE FASTER
the difference in performance would depend on how refined the original assembly was

Downside is if you live in a hilly area. yes you can get to your power band earlier but you have less stored inertia meaning you will lose the revs quicker

Well that sounds like exactly what I am after. As for losing revs faster on hills, I live in a rather flat area with some moderate and intense hills, but on the intense hills i usually have to take it in 2nd anyway, do to the lack of torque at the moment.

Alright guys thanks, i will defiently be looking into doing this mod sometime this winter.