Letting kids drive your car.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It doesn't affect me being without offspring (at the moment) but I was wondering how you feel when your son/daughter starts approaching 17 and is getting interested in driving?

Will you / Have you let them drive your car? What restrictions will you put on their car usage when they have a full licence?

Even if you don't have children do you think you will you be able to cope with the stress of teaching someone to drive?

It doesn't affect me being without offspring (at the moment) but I was wondering how you feel when your son/daughter starts approaching 17 and is getting interested in driving?

Will you / Have you let them drive your car? What restrictions will you put on their car usage when they have a full licence?

Even if you don't have children do you think you will you be able to cope with the stress of teaching someone to drive?

First off, DON'T TEACH THEM YOURSELF!!! Leave to the professionals. They know what they are doing and what is required to pass the test. Also stops wars breaking out in household. Be prepared, however, for your little darlings to start [FONT=&quot]criticising[/FONT] your driving technique and bad habits :)

Both kids took the Pass Plus test. This gives them more esperience and 1 year's NCB with most insurers.

Although they both have their own cars, they are allowed to borrow wife's Astra if necessary. Alex is using the spare VW Scirocco Scala while he repairs his Alfa 33 Cloerleaf. They aren't allowed to drive the Robin Hood (insurance too high) and they won't even get near to the keys of the Elan when it is finally finished :)

Oh, did I mention DON'T TRY TO TEACH THEM YOURSELF? It is just not worth the grief. Let them wear the clutch out on the driving school car :)

I'd rather mine learn with a professional. Not too keen on lending out my car to kids as when they smash it up I've got the problem of how to get to work.

i definetly wont be adding my daughter to my insurance after just getting an online quote as to add a 17 year old girl on a provisional it added just over 1k to my premium :blink: and just out of curiosity i changed the sex to male and it added just shy of 3k to the insurance :amazed:

You can't change your kids sex like that - it's bound to confuse them herb ;)

My step dad taught me to drive and it took just over a year but I'm still alive and he is just a bit greyer than when he started. I have never had a professional driving lesson. ;) Not many people can boast that.

Nobody but me drives my car! My kids will be lucky enough if I give them a lift! :lol: I had to learn from a pro, and pay for everything myself...so will they. I will help them buy their first car (I've also helped a lot of mates), but as long as it's their money they can drive what they like.

Nobody but me drives my car! My kids will be lucky enough if I give them a lift! :lol: I had to learn from a pro, and pay for everything myself...so will they. I will help them buy their first car (I've also helped a lot of mates), but as long as it's their money they can drive what they like.

Same here. i had a couple of "lessons" from the parents didnt do much as ended up argueing all the time. id make them go out earn the money to pay for theyre own lessons, car and insurance. that way i think theyll learn how hard it can be to keep the car. and then maybe show it some car

My mum n nan actually took me out in my Nans Civic 1.4 (Which then became mine) - we went driving at least for 20 minutes every night, often over an hour. I passed in 3 months flat, first time. so... its not all bad.

3 months is pretty good going IZO.

^.^

2 hr lesson every week, plus family random driving round the industrial estate nearby.

Funny story, when I passed my theory - which I failed first time thanks to the crap computer game they have of Hazard Perception :p - I was driving home with my mum in the car. There was, for some bizarre reason, a guy washing a bucket out over a grid - leaning onto a busy main road.

As traffic was coming the other way, I couldnt move over, so as he stood up, the wing mirror of the Civic went right below his face. Literally, right below it.

Its funny now, and it was funny then, but if a 25/30mph car hits you on the head with its wing mirror, you aint going to be going to the pub at the weekend.