Olley

Track Warrior
Car
E30 touring 325i
Re: UK Civil war over fuel prices

Hahahaha!

I've got the same problem!

I'm still laughing about this one.

This sounds a lot like the situation in America. People are seriously ticked off, but no one's doing anything. We also fear we are on our way to becoming the newest third-world country.

But I'm certainly not going to be starting anything. I'm too scared to be the one who gets made example of. I'm not smart enough, rich enough, or charismatic enough to be out in front of something like this. You know?

there are people on this forum from all over the gaff... i think with the right leadership amongst us, we could potentially start something the world over, and if we can do it on an online platform, we wouldn't need to worry about the cost of fuel to get there!
i for one would start by starting a petition, it is easy enough to do. i'd just need someone to word it properly.
the more signatures we get the more they have to pay attention.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

anyone want to give it a shot?

A very good idea, someone with some initative. I will push the petition across the site and encourage others to post it up on other forums.

The questions we need to consider then are
What should the petition be for? (Obviously it needs to be reasonable and implimentable.) A scrap fuel tax will be met with deaf ears.

We are paying something like 70% tax in every litre of fuel. This is too much. The baseline fuel prices vary wildly.

How can the system be made fairer? What about dropping the road tax and just having fuel tax, or hiking the road tax and dropping fuel tax.

Think also about fuel stabilisers, how can the tax be used to stablise the prices of fuel.

Is it fair that we pay VAT and fuel duty? Does fuel duty really discourage use of the car and have the environmental impact.

A case also needs to be made at the beginning about the effects that road tax has on the economy, personal well being and the general price of goods and the effects this has on tourism, so include something about that as well.

The budget is imminent so the motoring public need to make a noise about this now.

I personally think the "scrap the latest fuel hike" cry is lame and still leaves us with a massive tax burden the overall state of fuel tax needs to be addressed.

Can businesses claim back more mileage for example? The 50p per mile allowance is now a bit dated in light of the current fuel prices and running costs with most cars costing 60-90p per mile to run.

Online petitions are a waste of time. These were introduced during Blair's time to distract us from protesting properly by leading us to think we'd actually been allowed a chance to make our collective voice heard.

Yes, it has been heard. But has it been listened to and acted upon? NO! So it's not really democratic behaviour by a government, is it?

It [online petitioning] was a convenient way to stop 250,000 or more people tipping up in Downing Street on a Sunday morning waving a list of signatures, which, in fairness, is more likely to elict a response.

Last edited:
Fuel Prices

Asked for the Government’s views on what OPEC had been saying on fuel prices in the UK, the PMS replied that if oil prices went up, it had an impact on the price of petrol at the pump.

Put that their argument was that the Government was making more money than the producers through tax, the PMS said that we had a significant structural deficit that we needed to deal with and that’s why we were going ahead with certain tax rises. The Prime Minister had asked the Treasury to look at the issue of a fair fuel stabiliser, but any announcement on tax would come at the time of the Budget.

The PMS said that an increase in the oil price did have an impact on petrol prices. If people looked at recent rises in petrol prices, the majority of the increase was accountable by non-tax factors such as increases in the price of oil.

i took that extract from the above posted link.
and quite frankly it is a load of (insert chosen word here)....
if they base it on the rise in crude prices, and to be honest the prices are quite crude. the rise would be minimal to the end user. but because of the tax and fuel duty, the rise is considerably higher.

they apply the fuel duty, then they add the VAT on top...
i think the VAT and fuel duty should be calculated independently of each other. that is what is killing us at the pumps.
that or they should scrap one or the other.
And to claim that they are taxing so highly to allow the economy to recover is ridiculous.

for example:-
Mr. J. Bloggs runs a firm that delivers things.
he pays X amount per year to cover fuel road tax maintenance and MOTs for his fleet of vehicles.

when the government put VAT up, he loses money on everything, as it all costs more as the companies he uses have to put their prices up.
you can see where this is going. so ultimately his business closes, loosing Y amount of jobs.

these people then either end up on the dole, or looking for other work, or in illegal activity to provide for themselves and/or dependants.

WHICH COSTS THE GOVERNMENT MONEY!!!!!!

and then us, because the government take money from us to pay for those on benefits.

so, i propose that to stabilize the economy, reduce VAT back to what it was, scrap fuel duty, and stop paying people to sit on their arse all day!

RANT OVER! FOR NOW!

Online petitions are worthless.

No disrespect, but is there any other way at present? short of mailing a petition round to members of the forum, ie one person prints it out, and signs it, posts it to the next person. there isn't a lot we can do.

quite frankly i would love to hold a very big laser sighted gun of some description to the heads of those in charge, but that wouldn't get us anywhere.

they gave us the "freedom of speech", then they introduce laws to silence the masses. there is no real way to approach the government with out the risk of being detained as some sort of terrorist or other such cretin. i think it's time i did some digging....

No disrespect, but is there any other way at present? short of mailing a petition round to members of the forum, ie one person prints it out, and signs it, posts it to the next person. there isn't a lot we can do.

quite frankly i would love to hold a very big laser sighted gun of some description to the heads of those in charge, but that wouldn't get us anywhere.

they gave us the "freedom of speech", then they introduce laws to silence the masses. there is no real way to approach the government with out the risk of being detained as some sort of terrorist or other such cretin. i think it's time i did some digging....

No, there isn't any other way, apart from direct representation. You say, and I quote "they gave us the "freedom of speech" ". Who or what is the anonymous they?

Online petitioning has no value.

the government, at some point or another the powers that be gave us the right to free speech, and has spent every passing moment until now to find ways of shutting us up.

A petition will put the issue in the minds of all those that sign up and the more noise made the better as far as i'm concerned.

The fact is that we are more likley to sign an online petition than turn up in our droves with placards and cucumber sandwiches to protest.

If the Police protest over their pay and conditions, who will Police it?

I think a call to bring fuel prices in line with the rest of Europe isn't unreasonable. I agree, taxing the hell out of us all is ruining the economy even more. They need to encourage us to spend, not save our money because we can't afford to buy anything.

70% is just robbery.

Anyone know how much fuel is used in Britain each day?

Invest in material items. Buy everything you can sooner rather than later.

I wish I'd bought loads of gold a few years ago, it would be worth a mint now.

Well if a protest could be organised then what exactly would we do? Block roads, dont buy fuel, fill up our cars and drive off and refuse to pay till the price is lowered. (oh wait thats stealing, only the government is allowed do that but still a tempting idea). Wouldnt it be easier to organise a protest within our own cities or the nearest one but on a specific date. That would get rid of most travelling issues.

The French Government hasn't forgotten the principles of democracy ie. it was elected to work for the people, not to enslave them.

Exactly! which is why I do admire them! The problem here in this wonderful but exasperating country of ours, is that too many people are prepared to embrace the negative thought instead of a positive hope; as for a lot of people, it is by far and away the easier option to take! :(

To accentuate a positive response, requires considerably more effort by people to help make things happen!
Why is it so hard to fight for something that we all dearly want to happen! If you think before you have even really started, that your cries for help will not be heard and acted upon, then you might as well roll over and play dead! :(