leon specifics - bdm or boot mode (Chip tuning)

racingfreak

Car
audi
Hi,
car has these ECU
6k1-untitl.jpg

my question is wether it can be flashed via bdm or boot mode or it cannot be flashed at all. Also tell the difference betwen bdm and boot mode.

Yes it cn be flashed - cant tell the difference between the 2 however as dont know much about the actual way the parameters are reloaded back on.
i do know however that they cant be done on the fly and require the ignition on while the maps loaded then ignition off for a set period before restarting.

not sure if thel be much can from the 1.6 8 valver however will give much in the way of gains maybe 5-8 bhp.

please dont post links or pics until youve got 10 posts

i do know however that they cant be done on the fly and require the ignition on while the maps loaded then ignition off for a set period before restarting.
on the fly - sorry but I am all new about the expresions.

not sure if thel be much can from the 1.6 8 valver however will give much in the way of gains maybe 5-8 bhp.
the intention is not to gain HP, but to experiment and learn about remapping and the desire of doing that is I my personal fun. If I want a HP gain I'll wisit first local tunner. Sure you don't expect that I will test that on my new 40k€ vehicle, although it can be done easier via OBD socket.

please dont post links or pics until youve got 10 posts
Why's that?

on the fly - allows you to alter the map will driving along
re links and pics - its to stop the spammers who want to use this site to promote anything from cheap knock offs to sex toys. its also a pain as someone has to authorise all the posts.

remapping itself.
i commend you for having the balls to try and do this yourself. i wouldnt as theres too many parameter to try and keep this within the limits of the car and the engine. do a search for "raising the power of a clio" or gada i think is his name as hes remapping his car himself but had issues correcting the check sum within the ECU. alsio had issues with the exhaust temps rasing sharply.

if i was running a 40k car id have it taking to a proessional remapper that will have proof to show you that his maps ( or more likely the company he works for ) all keep the car within the set limits.

on the fly - allows you to alter the map will driving along
re links and pics - its to stop the spammers who want to use this site to promote anything from cheap knock offs to sex toys. its also a pain as someone has to authorise all the posts.

remapping itself.
i commend you for having the balls to try and do this yourself. i wouldnt as theres too many parameter to try and keep this within the limits of the car and the engine. do a search for "raising the power of a clio" or gada i think is his name as hes remapping his car himself but had issues correcting the check sum within the ECU. alsio had issues with the exhaust temps rasing sharply.

if i was running a 40k car id have it taking to a proessional remapper that will have proof to show you that his maps ( or more likely the company he works for ) all keep the car within the set limits.

you definetly did't understand me!
I sad that I am no fool that I will experiment on my 40k€ BMW 530 d. This car has been chiped allready at the local tunner for 700€ (although I thing half of that amount will be enough for a generic remap). But it is true that after a generic remapping tunner also measured new HP at the dyno to proff my money was worthed and he aslo performed minor changes to the generic map - I gues most tunners have remap database on CD that they buy from someone, because custom remapping at this particular tunner is 2000€.

my intention is to learn and test chip tunning on my seat that is not worth more that 3k€! And even if I will destroy its ECU the same tunner that modified my Bimmer has a ton of renewed ECUs for 200€ or he aslo repair broken ones for 50€ - EEPROM change.

About my knowlege, I have a degree of mechanical engineering and I also take 2 years at electrical engineering faculty. I also worked 2 years as a student at some company for automatization where I programed 8 and 16 bits MCUs, PICs and Atmels.

Now if you monitor EGT and knock sensor you can hardly blow off the engine. So please spare me the warnings.

What I have no knowlege about is what tools do I need. As I read there are 2 basic ways to remap ECU - EEPROM change (new one has to be programmed via a special programmer), EEPROM flash (boot mode or OBD mode).
Now as you told me that simos ECU can be flashed in boot mode can you tell more about how can this be done and what kind off tools do I need.
I may also mention that I am not willing to spend money on proffessional chip tuning tools.

Also I would be thankfull if someone can explain more about on the run tunning.

So how do you expect to do anything without the right equipment?

I don't now thats why I post my question on this forum as I thought that forum is the right place where people share its knowledge.

I didn't state I'am not willing to spent no money, I just wanted to say not like 10.000€ on professional equipment.
We all know about Galletto and cheap alike stuff. Can these thing be used to perform what I want?

Frankly I thing whole "chip tuning" isn't a science nor is a big deal, it is so complicated because you hardly get any detailed data and there is so many different standards about ECUs (com. protocols, different memory chips, different programing modes) that makes it imposible for a regular guy to work it out.

For example I have written a source code in basic for PIC MCUs that controled hydostatic driven crane in about 2 hours. There was aslo a lot os sensors since the human imput commands was not directly connected to hydraulic valves. So I know ECU has more maps and you need basic knowledge how internal combustion engine works and all, but the hardest is to get the right tool and data.

I don't now thats why I post my question on this forum as I thought that forum is the right place where people share its knowledge.

I didn't state I'am not willing to spent no money, I just wanted to say not like 10.000€ on professional equipment.
We all know about Galletto and cheap alike stuff. Can these thing be used to perform what I want?

Frankly I thing whole "chip tuning" isn't a science nor is a big deal, it is so complicated because you hardly get any detailed data and there is so many different standards about ECUs (com. protocols, different memory chips, different programing modes) that makes it imposible for a regular guy to work it out.

For example I have written a source code in basic for PIC MCUs that controled hydostatic driven crane in about 2 hours. There was aslo a lot os sensors since the human imput commands was not directly connected to hydraulic valves. So I know ECU has more maps and you need basic knowledge how internal combustion engine works and all, but the hardest is to get the right tool and data.

Thats my point though buddy you may have to spend the pennies to get the right equipment. I'm not totally sure on this though so maybe someone else could clear this up for us?

sorry for the lengh of time mate iv been away.
not sure how much the software to read/upload the maps would be but i think all youll need was laptop obd2 cable and software. i know APR used to do a free software to allow you to change some parameters when uploaded with there map.

sorry for the lengh of time mate iv been away.
not sure how much the software to read/upload the maps would be but i think all youll need was laptop obd2 cable and software. i know APR used to do a free software to allow you to change some parameters when uploaded with there map.

Well as I know at this time almost all ECU's (except those from oldtimers:)) have EEPROM so they can be flashed, but as I also know not all can be flashed via OBD, but they need to open the ECU and flashed it in boot mode.

Cheap tool to flash most of the ECUs is Galletto, there are tons of this stuff over eBay. I don't know anything about it but I think it can do its job, since this is just a simple programmer that writes/reads the EEPROM.
I already have a licenced software for remapping - winols (I bought it for 100€ from one tuning commpany - they got 10 licences for 1600€).

Tunning world is so limited that I believe it would be easier to make my own ECU