Leon Query from an Idiot.

hindy1

Car
Fabia Mk2 1.4TSI
Evening Gents,

I'm aware you probably get questions like this from nameless newbies on the forums all the time, however since I'm no mechanic I thought I might as well give it a go and ask.

I like the look of the new Leon sports so quite fancied purchasing one. I cant get insured on a cupra or anything decent that anyone else makes (vauxhall vxr) etc etc due to age and i think the 120bhp 1.4 leon is the only thing the bloody insurance companies wont rape me for.

So my question is this, is a 1.4 leon sport even worth the effort? Ive got mates in bodywork that can lower it, tint it and spray it so thats not the problem.
Engine performance-wise though, everything on the forums seems to point to the brutal reality that anything less than a two litre petrol is crap (to mod/uprate).

Just after a few opinions from you petrol heads. Im no mechanic and cant tell a flywheel from a camshaft so I rely on others to give me a bit of insight in this area.

Thanks lads.

Last edited by a moderator:
tbh mate i've not really looked in to the tuning of a 1.4 tfsi but a quick google tells me the bhp can be taken up to 140 bhp and the torque up to 230 lb/ft with a remap so i would say yes they are worth tuning!! + you will have a nice looking motor!!!!

They are also fun cars to drive, you won't be dissapointed by it. Anything with a turbo is just crying out for a remap, a NASP 1.4 is not really viable to tune up but you can still add some suspension/handling mods and have a car you can have real fun in.

Thanks for the replies lads. I cant get anything definitive about specs from the seat website however a wikipedia search is leading be to beleive it has a turbo? Its their 1.4 TFSI engine and according to this its also used in the golfs and audi A3s.

The 92KW version (this one) seems to point that it is forced induction. Im trying to find someone on the forums with a 1.4 leon but a 1.4 isnt exactly the engine of choice for a torquecars member!

I'll see what the dealer has to say today.

Thanks again fellas, any more thoughts just pop them up im eager to think what people think of a 1.4 :/

The FSI is not a turbo the TFSI is so i'm 99.99% certain it will be a turbo.

We all started somewhere? My first car was a 1.3 Renault 9!

Thanks again lads, your gradually saving me from total automobile confusion.
Anyone know the difference between a TSI and a TFSI engine?

nothing
the f just stands for fuel the 1.4 will be an FSI engine with a turbo on it at that low a power. by the time your getting up to the 170 models then its supercharged as well.

my boss has this in his jetta and it shifts quite nicely for a 1.4 ;)

just a warnign though. you might find insurance more difficult to get with the car and modifications

Thanks PG, it looks decent enough on paper! I'll see what the crack is after the test drive. Id love the cupra however insurance is nearing £4k which I think is stupid and I dont know how they can get away with that.

I know I did mention modifications, I have no idea where to start though, or any idea what is best bang for buck for a 1.4 engine. I had a sport flat panel filter in my last car and I did notice a different so I might go for an induction kit and then replacement exhaust system topped off by a remap - if I word it right im hoping insurance wont try and take my unborn kids from me!

best bang for buck would be a remap. the 120 would probably go up to around 145 but and a bigger increase in torque - remember its forced induction. the exhaust probably wont do much unless you fit the sports cat, and if its the same as the other VAG turbos then a panel filter will give the same gains as an induction kit.
ive had standard airbox
smoothed airbox
smoothed airbox with Golf R32 frontal air intake
as above with pipercross panel filter
and finally a BMC CDA.
logs show no real difference from after i fitted the R32 DSG parts to the CDA. but the noise is much nicer
smiley-sign0151.gif
smiley-sign0151.gif

as for why they charge that amount - they need to make more money than they pay out.
young boys are statistically more likely to act like prats and crash. now you crash into a brand new £50k motor and write it off.
you would have a £50k bill for the car you have written off
find money for your car
any damages caused - remember the blame culture we live in.
so your £4k looks alot better than possibly £70k

Sorry to sound like a wet rag but most insurance companies load up modified cars worse than "off the peg" cars. Shop around and be honest when getting quotes. If they find you have modified your motor and not told them they may refuse to pay out. That has a double whammy meaning you not only are out of pocket but you may be prosicuted for no insurance.
On the plus side I found some companies didn't blink when I told them about a "special" built by MG Sport and Racing. (No difference to the cost of a standard model.) Tho' some hiked the premium cos of the paint job.