Legacy Turbo install

M

mattyb

Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone could help me with a modification question. At the moment i'm driving a 96 stock legacy 250t, and i'm looking at putting a turbo on it. Down my way, everyone straps a front-mounted intercooler to their car, which to me looks like a shiny piece of metal with a #!#!#!#!ty skyline/evo/wrx hangy off the back of it. So i was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it would be to install a stock head-mounted intercooler (like you would find in a GT etc.) and run the turbo off that?

Hi there, i was just wondering if anyone could help me with a modification question. At the moment i'm driving a 96 stock legacy 250t, and i'm looking at putting a turbo on it. Down my way, everyone straps a front-mounted intercooler to their car, which to me looks like a shiny piece of metal with a #!#!#!#!ty skyline/evo/wrx hangy off the back of it. So i was wondering if anyone knew how difficult it would be to install a stock head-mounted intercooler (like you would find in a GT etc.) and run the turbo off that?
Im lost do you what to fit a turbo or a front mount intercooler..?

Your Legacy should already be a 2.5 Twin Turbo unless of course you have a GL or GX etc model. They should run a top mounted intercooler as standard so it may be cheaper and easier for you source a Legacy Bi Turbo engine and just fit that. You will only need the Engine, engine loom and ecu and the rest will work fine. The only downside is that the 2.5 ngine only produces 250bhp as standard, where as a Jap Imported Impreza STi has 270 standard and is alot smaller engine, less psitons and 1 less turbo and can be taken to silly bhp if you want.

So before you dive in at the deep end, have a look at the standard setups on the Legacy's and see what will best for you. You will waste so much money in trying to convert a GL or GX to turbo unless you change the whole engine and save your self thousands ;) Oh and just to let you know, look out for the Legacy B5 as thats one of the most top of the range Legacy's.