Left/Right hand threaded bar

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
I am looking for a supplier of 1/2" UNF bar that is threaded left hand at one end and right hand at the other. Like a turnbuckle on anti roll bars or splitter supports but in a bar as opposed a tube. Found a site in the States but would prepfer to buy in UK if possible. McGill Motorsports, Trident and Maplin can't help before anyone suggests them :)

I will ask a chap I know who has a friend who works for a metal works special projects company who make stuff for all manner of engineering companies.

I shall ask the question tomorrow for you OG.

OK, thanks, Os. Company in US has now told me that they only export to established companies :-(

Sounds like your only choice would be to get one made by a machine shop. We have a similar part with left and right hand rose joints each end for adjusting the stroke on an oscillator on our S.A.W. machine.

How about a spring compressor, Would they be the same principal? Cheap on ebay

As far as I am aware, the threads only go one way on spring compressors. Besides, it needs to be 1/2" UNF, which spring compressors aren't.

Sounds like your only choice would be to get one made by a machine shop. We have a similar part with left and right hand rose joints each end for adjusting the stroke on an oscillator on our S.A.W. machine.

Yes, it is looking that way which surprises me in one way, but not in another as everything I want to do has to be made :)

Couldn't you ask a local machine shop to cut you one? It wouldn't be that hard to make from some hexagonal bar. :)

Looks like it will have to be that way. Os is asking a friend and I have asked my local machine shop for a price.

That goes without saying! I will be checking that the modifications to the adjustable wishbones don't add weight :)

The mods are required in order to allow camber adjustment without having to remove the wishbone as this isn't a simple job.

I have continued this thread on my 'At Last!. I have started on my car ;) PART 2!' project thread.

Thanks T9 for the offer, but I have decided to make the bars myself.

Yes, it is looking that way which surprises me in one way, but not in another as everything I want to do has to be made :)

I know what that's like! :rolleyes:

I have continued this thread on my 'At Last!. I have started on my car ;) PART 2!' project thread.

Thanks T9 for the offer, but I have decided to make the bars myself.

No problem at all OG, I hope it all goes well. After seeing your workmanship at close hand with all that metal nonsense, I would say it is well within your capabilities anyway! :D

No problem at all OG, I hope it all goes well. After seeing your workmanship at close hand with all that metal nonsense, I would say it is well within your capabilities anyway! :D

Right, no pressure then :)

Loz, I think I see dead people! :blink:

Today, 08:26 PM
Loz
Torque King
Car: MG ZS 180

Called Automotion Components this morning. Unfortunately, their parts aren't strong enough for vehicle suspension use.

S3i only list metric studs, but they are looking elsewhere for me at this very moment.

Last edited:
I need to see this immense project finished and the monster finally put on the track OG :)

I have already told her indoors that whenever and wherever your debut track day is, then we are off to see it and to give you our fullest support! :amuse:

If this should happen to clash with any family nonsense, then the family will have to talk to the hand because the head ain't listening, were off! :lol:

+1. :)

I need to see this immense project finished and the monster finally put on the track OG :)

I have already told her indoors that whenever and wherever your debut track day is, then we are off to see it and to give you our fullest support! :amuse:

If this should happen to clash with any family nonsense, then the family will have to talk to the hand because the head ain't listening, were off! :lol:

Hamilton Precision Engineering in Buckingham will do this for you. 01280 812731.

Thanks. However, getting them made isn't a problem, just expensive. I was hoping to just pick them off the shelf :)

Die and bar should arrive in a few days so if I haven't found them I will start making them.

Decided to use 1/2" UNF bolts and I am getting my machine shop to put a left handed thread on the unthreaded part. Should be back on Friday and I will post the result.

My son is looking into doing the same to the rear control arms on his Audi S3 as lowering has increased the negative camber.

You have probably considered and looked at turn buckles. Or are you after it to be specifically 1 bar with both L/R threads on it. Sounds like your about to have it done anyway. If you do end up having trouble PM me and I'll have a fish around.
I can be good at fishing out the right stuff for cheap. I'm lousy at catching fish though. :)
(not that you know me from a bar of soap, but anyway)

You have probably considered and looked at turn buckles. Or are you after it to be specifically 1 bar with both L/R threads on it. Sounds like your about to have it done anyway. If you do end up having trouble PM me and I'll have a fish around.
I can be good at fishing out the right stuff for cheap. I'm lousy at catching fish though. :)
(not that you know me from a bar of soap, but anyway)

There isn't the space for a turnbuckle, otherwise I wouldn't be having this trouble :)

Thanks for the offer, we are all one brotherhood on here. Should get rods back tomorow so I will be able to post photos of the finished article.

If you could give us a length I could have a look.
I have 2 drawers full of magic bits that come in handy.
But my neighbour has about 5 buckets of different stuff.
Would the rod out of a tie rod set up do?
Obviousy providing it was in 1/2 inch UNF. I have a length in my head of aroung100mm to 150mm. That's just a guess having read what your wanting it for.
Seeing as your an "O/G" too. Can I ask a Q. It would be a long shot but,
I'm after a toroid coil or the ring of a certain size to make one myself.
I've started a thread which you may have read. (hey that rhymes) :)

Wanting to build a chaimber for converting water to hydrodgen. (Its from a set of plans I found a while back)

Attachments

• front wishbone mod 070512.jpg
    front wishbone mod 070512.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 2
:)Shame you cant get your mate to make the toroid coil for me:)

If you want to have a bit of a read I do have an intersting journey to take to get it happening??

Ok here's a general tech Topic "Hydrodgen" conversion chamber

That's the thread I started to see what people think.
I'm pretty sure what I've found is feasable and not a con.
It was set up to be a buy it plan Kit on "how to" but I never paid for it.
It was mensioned on the site I found it on at the time that they were not allowed to sell it so he made it freely available till it dissapeared from the web!!! (sounds like a conspiracy theory)
If you want me to delete this entry I will. Don't want to hijack your thread.
Cheers and good luck with the lefty righty:)

He didn't make them, I got them made for him. However, the company I dealt with went under many years ago.

I believe the problem with hydrogen manufacture from water is that the energy required makes it uneconomic on a small scale, ie in a car. Also, if making and using at the same time, keeping up sufficient supply will be problematic, IMO.

However, good luck and be careful what you drink :)

I keep hearing that about the economy side of it.
Thats why I'm curious about this system as they seem to quite sure it works. (But as always said by other, "IN THEORY")
Thanks, I'll be careful of what I drink. :)