Left foot braking

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
As some may know a year or so ago I sold my 400HP RWD 1985 JB Starion that I had been using as my weekend track car for many years on dirt autocross events till app 10 years ago when I changed over to tarmac only events and sold it just over a year ago and used the proceeds to help purchase a 2011 FN2 Honda Civic Type R that is a Front Wheel Drive.

FWD requires a slightly different driving style / cornering technique on track days called left foot braking where one uses the left foot on the brake pedal to control corner speed while keeping the gas pedal down this is to transfer more weight and grip to the front tyres to help the car rotate or turn in more towards the apex while at the same time the motor is pulling hard.

To that end I have been using my left foot on the brake in both my auto 4X4 as well as the manual FWD Civic to train my foot to be able to modulate the pedal pressures in a similar fashion to my finely tuned right foot.

When I try in the 4X4 the computer / EMS gets all confused and cuts power so I can only practice braking but can do both in the Honda.

WARNING LFB is an advanced motorsport technique and IS NOT taught or recommended by driving schools for normal road driving even in automatic cars. Use it at your own risk.

Last edited:
Am training my left foot at every opportunity and am getting better with modulating the brake pedal and intend to bring LFB into play on some of the slower corners at my next track day on November 5.

It will be the first test of my just installed FORZA FP3 front brake pads and will post my impressions soon after the 5th

I remember the first time I did left food braking, I nearly went through the windscreen! That left foot does need quite a bit of training.

In an emergency situation I think most drivers would be better off using their left food, strangely most seem to progressively apply the brake and only use about 80% of the stopping force.

On the track thought this skill is an essential technique.

Feeling more comfortable using my left foot as the more I use it the smoother I get and will be using it on the track tomorrow as well as learning how the stiffer setting on the rear ARB affects initial turn in as well as mid and exit corner speeds.

I/we have friends who think that I should take up a more sedate sport like bowls but that to my way of thinking is an old persons sport that would bore me to tears and I only feel my age getting in & out or the CTR but once settled in I am going to keep trying to lower my lap times for as long as I am able.

It comes down to my left heel position if I am going to LFB as it needs to be close to the rt heel on the floor.

The more I practice the more normal and smoother it becomes.

I have found out on the road in my auto daily car it comes down to heel position and if my left foot is an the foot brace / foot rest then I automatically use my rt foot.

TIP keep heel on the floor for better brake control with the ball of your foot so you do not have to cope with controlling the weight of your leg as well as modulate the brake pressure.

WARNING This technique is not taught by driving schools even on automatics but is a motorsport skill and I am only posting about it for general knowledge and am not telling or advising anyone to try it on public roads.

Last edited:
I can report that the FORZA FP3 pads were confidence inspiring and the brake grip remained stable over all of the hot laps with no sign of fade or different pedal feel or height.|B

NOTE I have SS braided brake lines and use Motul RBF600 fluid as they help ensure the pedal feel remains constant stop after stop .

Have already ordered another set so they are at hand when needed.

I’m using the same fluids in my track MG, Hel braided lines but running 2500 pads up front on Brembo GT2 4-pots/Reyland mounts and 326mm vented discs. I’ve never been comfortable doing left foot braking, guess I should’ve kept at it. However I trail-brake so tend to be hard on my brakes through some corners, depends on how quickly I’m entering it. One thing I’ve found with the ZS on track is I’ve never felt unsafe with its handling or found it unpredictable, probably the best fwd car I’ve driven hard.

Am getting to be reasonably comfortable now but still working towards it becoming the natural thing to do. It just takes practice ,practice, practice |B

In 1962 I injured my right foot, so I had to learn to use my left foot for both the accelerator and the brake. When It was cured, I went back to the right foot for the accelerator, but kept using the left foot for braking on all cars with automatic transmissions. Much faster stops in single lane mountain roads and high traffic in countries where distances are not right.

Hi Richard it's good that you are back in tip top condition and that you developed a new skill to overcome an injury and continue to LFB.
One has to be determined and persevere if one wants or needs to do things differently for whatever reason to become skilled and comfortable doing something different than what is considered normal.

I remember the first time I did left food braking, I nearly went through the windscreen! That left foot does need quite a bit of training.

In an emergency situation I think most drivers would be better off using their left food, strangely most seem to progressively apply the brake and only use about 80% of the stopping force.

On the track thought this skill is an essential technique.
Been driving over 30 years. Only ever used my left foot for braking when using an automatic. They do not teach it when learning, but I taught myself over time in slow moving traffic and general local driving. Now, unless I mentioned it, my passengers would never even know. The missus only found out recently.

I have been driving for more than 60 years and have only been left foot braking since I sold my old RWD track day car for a newer FWD car so an old dog can learn new tricks :lol:

I tend to think that one only gets "old" when you stop doing things that you have always done ,even if you are doing them at a slower rate than if you stop doing things altogether so that's why I go to the gym 3 times a week to help keep my body in reasonable shape to be able to enter events and race my car for as long as I can get in and out of it and enjoy driving as fast as I dare as when I am waiting for the flag to go how old I am never enters my mind.

I love the atmosphere at events and chatting with strangers ,some of them have become firm friends over the years.

Am a bit peeved at the moment as am laid up recovering from a rare melanoma (Cancer) that had to be removed ASAP causing me to cancel my entry into a long awaited 2 day event.