LED Side Lights Constantly going Bust

drinu89

Car
Seat Cordoba 1.9SDI
Hi, I have been trying to install some bright white led sight lights but for some reason they keep going bust. I've also tried different brands and different types. Nothing seems to keep working as they should. The last pair only lasted for about a week. (I have a 100w headlamp and I just though maybe they were getting damaged because of the heat.)

Any opinions of what might be happening? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: LED Sight Lights Constantly going Bust

DO the LEDs have packaged resistors? A foward biased LED has virtually zero resistance so you need to use a series resistor to limit current.

Also - you MUST use a separate resistor for each LED. You cannot connect multple LEDs in parallel and then use a single series resistor.

I just buy them ready over the internet. I don't make them myslef. The last pair looked like these:

etbn08cop.jpg

that is weird, when i bought my LED sides they where fine, never blew or anything, maybe your car is forwarding to high a current, try maybe replacing the fuse for the sidelights

DO the LEDs have packaged resistors? A foward biased LED has virtually zero resistance so you need to use a series resistor to limit current.

Also - you MUST use a separate resistor for each LED. You cannot connect multple LEDs in parallel and then use a single series resistor.

the ones diesgned for sidelight use do have the resisters in series or the LEDs themselves in series to the point where there is enough draw not to need one.

problem can be new cars monitor the current and look for blown bulbs it can be that LED sidelights dont draw enough current and can show as blown