Learner drivers - should aids be banned

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think that learner drivers should be allowed to drive a car with ABS?

If they get used to the ABS and get a car without it then the emergency stop will come as a real surprise to them.

What about reversing sensors, cameras, anti roll back, lane control and auto distance and anti collision systems?

The other assumption is that most cars are now fitted with ABS and some of these features? But is this actually true of the sort of cars that your average 17 year old will be driving?

I think people would be a lot more careful on the roads if they had to learn in a Rover Ten! ;)

How is this going to work?

Learn in a Rover Ten and pass test in same.

Then buy a circa 5 year old modern hatch with all the safety equipment and driver aids that we are discussing.

What's going to happen?

Maybe there should be a designated car for all 1st year learners that is compulsory. A Smart type car with no power steering (small skinny wheels and tyres), no ABS, no traction control, no airbags, no stereo, no USB inputs, no aux inputs and only two seats so no late night joyriding. That way they will feel vulnerable, underpowered and feel the need to focus on driving. If they get through the first year they can upgrade to some add-ons then after another period of probation they can drive a normal car within a certain bhp level. Harsh but maybe it needs something like that? Dream on............

They will drive really carefully and cautiously leaving massive gaps and expecting to take a weekend to stop or accelerate! Each time being pleasantly surprised that their modern car is so much better!

Personally I'd keep then in the Rover ten for their first year of driving as well!

Maybe there should be a designated car for all 1st year learners that is compulsory. A Smart type car with no power steering (small skinny wheels and tyres), no ABS, no traction control, no airbags, no stereo, no USB inputs, no aux inputs and only two seats so no late night joyriding. That way they will feel vulnerable, underpowered and feel the need to focus on driving. If they get through the first year they can upgrade to some add-ons then after another period of probation they can drive a normal car within a certain bhp level. Harsh but maybe it needs something like that? Dream on............
With motorbikes learners are bhp/cc limited whilst they learn and at certain ages. I can see a system like this working on cars. A young driver can go out and theoretically just buy a 20 year old Cosworth and go out and drive it!

And they do, how many of these end up getting wrapped around a tree or another innocent car!

Limiting the power a new driver can use makes a lot of sense, i'm even preferring this to the Rover Ten idea that I just know HDi thinks is a totally goer!

And they do, how many of these end up getting wrapped around a tree or another innocent car!

Limiting the power a new driver can use makes a lot of sense, i'm even preferring this to the Rover Ten idea that I just know HDi thinks is a totally goer!

Glad the noble art of sarcasm isn't yet dead!!
And as for wrapping cars round trees, we all hear of plenty of accidents involving new drivers and basic 1.0 litre hatchbacks.

I think that if the car has it, why not ?

I have 'difficulty' parking the bus. I do need reversing sensors before my neighbours come and lynch me. does this mean I should learn how to park again, bearing in mind, that my recent vehicles have been an L200 and a Renault traffic. Parked them quite easy with out 'brushing' neighbours cars. If its on there and helps, why not ?

Apart from that one time on the road when an A1 muppets antics caused me to use the brakes in anger and the ABS kicked in, I think all new drivers should be fully aware of what the new safety features of a car does and how it will effect the car and driver.

I like to think I am fairly experienced with regards to driving on the roads and I have some track day experience too; but nothing prepared me for the sensation of an ABS kicking in when it was called upon. I think so many cars come with ABS as standard that learning in a car without it would be a pointless exercise. I may be wrong here off course, but as manufacturers strive to make their cars more fuel efficient and driver & pedestrian safer, we really should be learning to get to grips with the new technology and to embrace the technology yet to come when it arrives in the shape of newer car models.

Thinking into the future here, I want the day when my granddaughter comes of age and considers owning her first new car to be a totally safer experience due to the current tech that she has available at the time, which no doubt will have been brought about by upgrades and technical advances to the systems we now enjoy and are available today.

Cheers paul.
I agree 9er that we all hope that all is safe and well with kids/grandkids (Im much to young for the latter lol) in the future. It never will beof course but every step is a step in the right direction .

I agree 9er that we all hope that all is safe and well with kids/grandkids (Im much to young for the latter lol)

I thought that of myself too Gee, I was only 50 at the time when my granddaughter came on the scene, I'm still young at heart :)

Pretty cool actually Gee! I've been there done that and looking forward to being a grumpy old granddad who spoils his granddaughter and leaves the parents to pick up the pieces :lol:

My father in law is eighty-one next birthday and still behaves like he's going on 32!!!! He's a thoroughly likeable man with a verve for life and living it properly. Poor bloke was widowed in June 2014 and it hit him hard. VERY hard.

Geraint will like this - he's a boy of Y Rhondda, ex miner. Maerdy was the last pit closed - in 1984 incidentally.

However, he quit the pit in 1951 at age 17 and joined the army. 25 years service. Latterly worked as a planning officer for local council here in North Devon.

What I am hammering at here is that old doesn't have to mean BE old. He goes to the pub with my 18 year old son, enjoys live music, jazz, folk and progressive rock. Loves exotic food from all over the planet (so do my kids, from a ridiculously early age).

He drives with verve and enthusiasm. Loves his 5 series and all it's technology and takes advantage of it all. None of this 'in the good old days' nonsense with this man.

You gotta love this approach to life in general, not just motoring. I hope I will be this fired up when I hit eighty years.

HDI sounds like your FIL is living life to the fullest and really enjoying the life he has left.|B
Hope that I will be able to match his zest for life when I reach 80 +;)

IMO it all comes down to attitude How old one is between the ears :)

I'll have a word with her indoors about my dilemma! "Hi baby, I need to feel a younger woman so that I too will feel younger, so I would like your permission to feel up a woman whose about 30!" Can't see a problem here at all ;).....:(....ouch where did that right hook come from?.....:rofl:

Tower colliery was the last mine in wales to close.
Ex-miners are some of the bravest and most likeable people I have met. I could NOT do their job at all. As far as Rhondda people go they live life to the fullest !!