LEAF BLOWER! I think not. Prove me wrong.

justinsg

Car
1997 Jetta 2.0L gas
Okay so yes, I own this little 2.0L jetta, which for $500 bucks can't go very fast with 240 pounds of rims on it, but its a bit zippy with the old stock rims. So, me and a friends head out to the "ol airport" and do a few drags.

1997 Jetta GT 2.0L VS. 2008 Kia Rio LX

Okay so I know I need to tighten the throttle cable a little but I lost twice at the 1/4 and 1/2 mile line!
Mine has 114hp, with 122 pounds of torque and his is 110hp with 107 pounds of torque.

Okay so I have more torque and power, we started from both rolling stops and completely stopped.

ANYWAYS long an short, im sick and tired of not having any power when i want it, so I decided to buy a turbo..... yeah great 7 weeks of shipping.... okay so my big main question will a Leaf blower work as a turbo.

In theory its plausable because the leaf blower is doing the same, except its mechanically driven. (Which i guess then would be a supercharger?) So A turbo/supercharger is made to force air into the engine, provided the "Naturally aspired" will then force more gas to calculate for the extra air.

So next question if it does work, what would be the MAXIMUM, hp or mph could i stick in there without having so much fuel and air I fry the motor.

Long story told short I want that boost.... I think an electric leaf blower will do the trick, why electric.... well there pretty quiet compared to gas, and im pretty sure general public would here my music over electric.

Not worth the hassle for the gains IMO. Electric chargers just don't blow hard enough and pull too much from the battery to make power gains.

Why not fit a nitrous kit, that is a fairly easy 25-50bhp, the stock engine should take it and you'll smoke your friend on the drag strip.

Alternatively drop in a Trubo engine, the 1.8T has been done in the Jetta and works quite well. A breakers yard would be a good place to start for a suitable donor car.

A free mod is stripping out weight, as much as you can, this will free up some power. Lose the spare wheel, rear seats, carpets, panels, dash board plastics etc...

not a bad idea but nitrous is pretty expensive, so i have the electric one and i have another full separate power supply for the leaf blower. Its runs off a 18V battery operated, has about 3 1/2 hours of life... and blows at about 70 - 90mph. Would this work? or would i toast the engine.

not a bad idea but nitrous is pretty expensive, so i have the electric one and i have another full separate power supply for the leaf blower. Its runs off a 18V battery operated, has about 3 1/2 hours of life... and blows at about 70 - 90mph. Would this work? or would i toast the engine.

Don't waste you time or money. However, you won't toast your engine if you do it because they won't do anything significant.

There is at least one inaccuracy in the following video (turbos run at over 100000 RPM not RPS) but the results are sound.

The air speed is irrelevant, it's the pressure that is important and these fans can't produce pressure. This type of fan moves air but the can't compress it, which is what you want. People who fit these kits or try leaf blowers just don't understand how turbos work. Sorry.

With regard to nitrous being expensive, it is a lot cheaper than fan blowers because nitrous works and leaf blowers don't. There isn't a cheap way to produce power.

A big advantage that nitrous has over other forms of power production is that it is transferable to your next car. Once you have bought a kit the main components can be moved from car to car with just pipework, brackets and possibly injectors having to be modified/changed. So, in the long run, nitrous can work out to be the cheapest form of power available :)

This may sound blunt, but forget the leaf blowers as you will be wasting your time, effort and money and will look a prat to those who know what they are doing.

Last edited:
Okay sweet, So basically the leaf blower just wont be able to FORCE enough air to make a compression to the engine.... This kind of on the lines what i was thinking....I mean works the same, but it just never spins fast enough....and dudes, Now is illegal in canada, and its also VERY (Crap) beat me there too, it's cheaper than the dang turbo..... BUT where in New Brunswick Canada do you fill nitrous because Canada is pretty strict about nitrous. I doubt anyone can go around and sell nos to you. Next question since you guys like answering me, What the difference between a purge kit, wet kit, dry kits..... I know one of the kits is when its mix with air, then it is entered into the engine. But what is a purge kit... if its the ones that spray a mist, why heck could you make those attach to your car somewhere?

Not worth the hassle for the gains IMO. Electric chargers just don't blow hard enough and pull too much from the battery to make power gains.

Why not fit a nitrous kit, that is a fairly easy 25-50bhp, the stock engine should take it and you'll smoke your friend on the drag strip.

Alternatively drop in a Trubo engine, the 1.8T has been done in the Jetta and works quite well. A breakers yard would be a good place to start for a suitable donor car.

A free mod is stripping out weight, as much as you can, this will free up some power. Lose the spare wheel, rear seats, carpets, panels, dash board plastics etc...

PS, I dont want the 1.8 turbo.... I want a 2.0L turbo.... as I said in the message its... shipping, 6.5 more weeks WHOA WHO.... :-|

Superchargers and turbochargers (given their full name they are turbo-superchargers) are positive displacement devices.

Electric fans are not. Try inflating a balloon by holding the neck open facing towards a desk fan, for example.

It won't work.

So whats a purge kit? and can ANY system be hooked up anyway? or do you need to buy that that specific kind? likie wet for wet and so on, or could i take a dry, and make it wet... the little link didn;t really help either I mean the wet says the NOS is mixed with feul then shot through injector? and dry is mixed with air so the feul has to keep up with the burning motor? what?

Here ya go mate

*Link removed as per our T&C's*

Sorry buddy but you need to have made 10 posts before the system will you to post any URL's or photos.

T9 man
Super Moderator.

ok the 2.0in the jetta (bora over here) is a joke. it was also fitted to the golf and badged as the GTI until they got the 1.8t.

its as youve said 110bhp yet the 1.6 16v version is 105bhp so whats the extra 400cc's doing. to be honest and i know youve said you dont want to but fitting a 1.8t and a nice gt28 - very common conversion. along with a few other mods and mapping and your looking at close to 400 bhp. given your 2.0 will be the older 5spd box the the g60/vr6 clutch flywheel setup will do you and you can get rid of the DMF thats fitted there.

Even if you dont want to go down that route quite that far then getting the older 1.8t cable operated one AGU with the larger valves fitted with the K03s turbo from the newer models - VW dont even supply the older K03 anymore the parts superseded but the 03s although according to them theres no s mode. if your looking its from the AUM or AUQ models and a direct fit. speak to the likes of APR over there and mapped properly youll looking at around 205bhp and 250ftlb.
dont look into the K04 conversions from the 225 TTs as unless your getting the parts cheap then theres no real point as the cost isnt really that much less than the Garett conversion and you get more power and better reliability.

Another option may be to look at the 2.8 and a supercharger conversion.

as you can see im avoiding the who turbocharged 2.0 as it really is a pig of an engine. just out of interest i googled it and found someone on Vortex that had done it. 167bhp and couldnt have much else done to it as was maxxed out for reliability at 9psi.
my 1.8 had 180 as standard at 10psi and around 210-215, going by the graphs from vagcom, after around £800 of mods on the engine side over half from the remap.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back