larger turbo.

Gavins

Car
Kia Rio 1.5 CRDI
Would replacing my current turbo with one from a larger engined car be benifical or not. I have a Kia Rio 1.5 crdi, its a Hyundai engine I believe. I'm hoping other kias or hyundai's will offer a good replacement.

Yes but other mods will probably be needed as well. such as the injetors and mapping to get the best from it.

Might be worth doing some research and seeing if the turbo from the 2.0 might fit easily

Yes im hoping to do as many mechanical mods first before remapping in the hope that a remap will tie it altogether to make the most of these mods. And theoretically I was thinking a 2.0 Hyundai might be a straight swap over but I haven't had the opportunity to take a look.

In my opinion no assuming you want to have a drivable car no

Yes you will get more power when the turbo is producing power. The problem is how long it will take to spool up
Increasing the cc of an engine is the single most effective way of making any turbo spool up quicker. It follows the reverse is also true.
The mods required to make a 1.5 spool up like a 2 litre would I imagine cost more than swooping the complete engine
Also is you ecu mappable I would guess not easily

I see what your saying, lag would be a problem. In terms of mapping, yes I inquired about it a while ago and they informed me it was possible but would be custom and not an off the shelf pre made program.

And that will be a big problem because they are pre mapping by guesswork ( albeit possibly educated guesswork )
That means it will never be spot on which will make a huge difference with an oversize turbo. Remember the car won't be quicker unless it's set up properly
If you are determined to do this you really need an aftermarket ecu which can be mapped on a dyno .

It's a difficult one. If the larger turbo is of the variable geometry type then you could possibly work completely around the lag/spool up problem.

My car isn't exactly top choice for modding which doesn't help. And being new to diesels and turbos, I have very limited knowledge. at the moment im just fishing for ideas that can help me gain some power, nothing extreme just a little something extra. As im more into paint and bodywork to be fair.

It's startling how good a decent remap is. I had a Peugeot 406 2.2 HDi done in 2006 - it's a 16 valve common rail diesel and standard tune around 136bhp and 235lbft - pretty modest by today's standards but that particular engine (DW12TED4) was silken and hushed even compared with the latest crop of four cylinder diesel units.

Afterwards I had 192bhp with a staggering 320lbft !! The driveability was phenomenal with loads of effortless midrange shove.

Enjoy :)

I have heard good things about remaps and the advertisments sounds promising. But I've always assumed they were over exagerrating.

A larger turbo will increase top end power But will reduce response at low revs.and you will almost certainly need a remap or retune of the cars computer
FWIW I have a GT3582 on my 2.3 and it does not get to 17 psi till app 5500rpm but it will light up the tyres in 2nd at those revs.
It would be more responsive with a smaller turbo say a GT3071/76

Last edited:
I can't say more about it but i would like to say some engine can replace in a good way which give good response than older engine. That is not truth for all engines.

A larger turbo will increase top end power But will reduce response at low revs.and you will almost certainly need a remap or retune of the cars computer
FWIW I have a GT3582 on my 2.3 and it does not get to 17 psi till app 5500rpm but it will light up the tyres in 2nd at those revs.
It would be more responsive with a smaller turbo say a GT3071/76

You are talking outdated Turbo's. The latest range of Borg EFR's will spool up to a 1000rpm earlier. We have seen 2.5bar (37psi) @ 4500rpm on a EFR 9180 that will produce 900+bhp. The garrett equivalent the GTX4202 will struggle to make that Boost @ 5800rpm. The world moves on.