Large tail pipe cool or crass?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I'm seeing quite a few cars with large tail pipe decorations?

What is the point? All they do is add weight and become a missile if the bolt rusts through and your corner quickly?

Surely a proper back box with performance gain wouldn't cost that much more than some of these fancy add on tail pipe extensions?

Do you have a picture of what you mean? Im not sure if im understanding what you mean or if I have just not seen one yet.
Sounds naff though from your description. 4" straight through on mine with nothing fancy on it.

It looks crass IMO, I have seen a Corsa with what must have been a 150mm diameter tailpipe, it just looked ridiculous :embarrest:

But, surely, the extra diameter of the tail pipe must help the gases to escape thereby improving the efficiency of the engine so adding power?

I have a 3inch system all the way fron the turbo and I laugh when I see a 4 inch tip on a small ecnobox on wheels.

Come to think of it i may need a bigger pipe with the new engine

Indeed got the new System today.
It is an unusual size - 95mm and is an HKS system and came off my 32GTR.

Because of the cam duration and the rev limit the car will be louder than most so have gone with this system as it has two boxes .
The increase in bore size will hopefully let it flow but not sound like a drag car,
Just need to save up from some Mines downpipes now.