Lack of power.

craggle26

Tuner
Car
Polo CL Coupe
Recently I blew my engine in my vw polo cl coupe. Thats the 5 speed. I got a new one fitted from the scrap yard. It seems to lack the power in 4th and 5th. Any idea's? Odviously it has been sat in the scrapper for a while. It dosnt bother me too much about the lack of power. But I was just woundering if anyone would know what could be up.

Could it just be down to lack of use?

What reg is it? Beyond 1993 ('K' reg) or thereabouts all cars were fitted with injection as standard.

The lack of power could be down to all manner of things, but the fact you are only experiencing it in two gears is interesting, hence I questioned the gearbox.

Its a K reg. Bang on the money ey! I havnt really done much long distance driving, Might take it on the motorway some time in the evening see what its like. I seem to be getting abit of popping from my exhaust with this new engine. Would it possibly be the tracking ? Also would that decrease the power?

If it's a 'K' reg it could be either way.

It sounds like it is out of tune. If you're not willing or able to tune it yourself you should be able to find an engine tuner who can come to you and sort it out. He'll certainly be able to point you in the right the direction. The only problem is that engine tuning, at least for 'normal' road applications is a bit of a dying art.

It's of no use to you as I'm the other side of Britain, but my friend knows a chap who he used to tune his Mk 1 Golf GTI among some of his other cars.

My dad is a mobile mechanic that can do it for me xD I hadnt had time to speak to him about it. Hes always working :( I think he said the tracking or out. Not a problem really.

I guess he means tracking with regard to the cylinders firing - I had the same problem with my 1990 Fiesta recently, along with the carburettor being out of tune now its been replaced. It runs better now I've replaced all the spark plugs and the HT leads. But I still need to sort out the fuelling. I hadn't bothered as I'm not driving it at the moment - its hard to tune something when you're not driving it to find the problems!

The power seem to be coming back slowly. I think it was due to being sat in a scrap yard all that time. Need to sort out my fuel tank now.