kwp 2000 tuning for free?

bhpmonster

Car
Hi all,
Im new to ecu tuning and was wondering if i could get some advice. I have found a website that offers free remap files, but am not sure whether they are safe to use?
There is also a video showing how to do it, it looks quite easy to do aswell.

Thanks for your time.

Be very careful with this. It's possible to render the whole ECU unbootable (yes, it's basically an embedded microcomputer) at worst.

Manufacturers release code updates for their cars over time. A generic re-flash will stand out like a sore thumb if the car goes in for diagnostics at any point. For example the engine number and chassis number will not match your car. This could even cause problems with security systems such as transponder keys etc.

A custom remap (which is set up for your car exclusively - not even two identical models will have identical code) is by far a much better option.

Good tuners will look at the sense (diagnostic) data on your ECU and produce a control set that more closely matches your car. Diagnostic data is not just for faults! This method provides a far better drive, in my opinion, with all the power and torque 'wrinkles' smoothed out long before any performance increase is applied. You can also get some things set to your own liking, throttle pedal response curves etc.

As a side note, I would advise that you completely avoid plug in tuning boxes, even the most costly are very crude.

Incidentally, what car are you planning to tune? And, B - welcome to Torque Cars.

Welcome to TorqueCars. As already said, if you don't know how to fix it if it goes wrong then leave well alone. When you look at the R&D a remap company puts into each remap you start to realise there is a lot more involved that just changing a few numbers in the ECU.

Thanks for the responses.

I was thinking of tuning my golf tdi. Its an older model so wouldn't be taking it to a garage anyway, and i do all of my own maintenance.

Surely most tuning companies would use the same files on more than one car.

Was on one tuning company looking how it worked last night. They said they send the file to one of their agents local to you. This means that they wouldn't be making it custom for my car anyway?

And i have already read about how tuning boxes are basically just a bunch of resistors tricking the ecu, which is a complete waste of time!

take a look at the site and let me know what you think of its validity:

free-tuning dot com

Thanks.

Not all tuning boxes are quite that crude, they do often work in the digital domain but that doesn't change the fact that they're less than perfect.

Tuning companies do not all use the same file for various cars. The better operators will lift the entire code set from your ECU and send it 'back to base' (G3, GSM - the media is unimportant) for analysis.

They will have some standard parameters to alter that apply to your car and then some that will be matched to your exact car. The modified map is then sent back to the operator for upload and testing.

I would not entertain anyone who just overwrites the entire ECU with a vanilla one size fits all map. That's amateurish.

hey and welcome

this fills me with loads of confidence
Here is a collection of Remap files. Use these at your own risk as i have not personally tested each file!

as already said the reason the remaps are so costly £150-500 (depending on generic or custom mapped) is because a good company will spend so long testing to make sure there is no ill effects to the car.
several companies do use the same map tweaked slightly to their specifications where others will write the map from scratch
as waynne said its not just a case or whacking up the boost and fuelling

People have tried the KWP approach and just stoved up the boost and fuelling (and every other output parameter - rev ceiling etc) by 30%. And the result - a engine that's self destructed upon startup.

Using a generic remap will also remove the immobiliser in many cars as these are idividually coded. There are also some other issues related to this that affect cars which rely on the ECU to do more than just manage the engine.

SR Performance sent me over an article which I will get up soon and this explains the problems and issues faced by remappers.