knocking from the engine

S

sickmick

G,day all, Just finished replacing my leads, distributor cap, rotor and coil on my 2L 89 Camry sv21 3s-fe, already did the plugs a few weeks ago. Fired the old girl up only to hear a loud mechanical knocking noise from the top end which mirrors the RPM's. I have a reco 3s-fe motor which has done 60000km and there was no noise before carrying out the work. While re-installing the dizzy which i'd cleaned my markings off (idiot me!) i relised i was trying to install it 180 degees out of wack with a light tapping of a hammer, before spinning it 180 and installing corectly. Hopfully thats not the cause of my troubles. I've tried advancing and retarding the timing with no change. Iv'e taken the valve cover off and cann't see any obvious signs of damage to the dizzy or camshafts. Any help would be much appreciated, cheers!

Greetings and Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend! :)

I am unable to help you with your question directly, but you are definitely in the right place for the knowledge that you seek! Somebody will be along in a little while who will be able to assist you with some answers or suggestions to your query!

Good luck! :)

My 5sfe has done the same thing when i screwed around with the dizzy. i would take everything that has to do with ignition out and inspect. Try to see if 1,2 or 4 cylinders are Knocking. if only one, i would look for a bridged ignition cap ( carbon tracing on 2 adjacent cylinders).
If 2 cylinders are knocking, then look at reverse firing or bad connections.
if all 4, take out your bible and see a priest, maybe a camshaft prob or something..
hope for you its a bridged cap or reverse timing.