Knob head

Jakeymd

The Torque Meister
Car
Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi
Okay so does anyone know how to get the gear knob off. Trying to replace the gaiter and it looks like i have to take the knob off, but i just can't figure it out. HELP.
P.S Mk 4 Astra by the way.

Is there a small screw hole to the rear underneath the top part? I doubt it but it is worth checking.

The Astra gear knobs are glued on but should just twist off. I have heard of some people cutting into the knob with a saw till they can get to the bit that is glued on to the gear shaft but I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have confirmed this is the case in a manual.

Okay so does anyone know how to get the gear knob off. Trying to replace the gaiter and it looks like i have to take the knob off, but i just can't figure it out. HELP.
P.S Mk 4 Astra by the way.

i think they just twist off aswell.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried twisting with a little force but didn't want to break it. So i'll try again with a bit more grrr

Okay, so twisting didn't work. It does twist, with alot of effort, but it doesn't seem to screw up for down. Just makes a wierd noise. Any new ideas?

I'm not sure there is a screw thread on these, it is just glued on. I wonder if the retaining clip inside is just spinning now.

Twist and pull. I wouldn't recommend smacking it up with a hammer though.

You could always ask your local Vauxhall dealers for a hand. (Or practice in a breakers yard where it doesn't matter if you snap the whole gear stick off!)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back