k20z4

minitec

Car
mini vtech
hi all
this is my first post in this forum, so Hello!. Im going to be fitting a k20z4 in my classic mini and was wondering if its possible to convert the drive by wire set up to the cable throttle (as in the K20a2) the car is just a rolling shell at the moment no wiring, ECU, etc so ill be starting from scratch. might run with the dbw system if it would work, open to any advice or suggestions

thanks in advance

Hello and welcome |B

There are a few videos about this swap and the Mighty Car Mods site might be a good place to start.

Please keep us informed of your trials and tribulations of the build along the way .

PS IIRC the MCM build used a 1600 cc Honda motor and it had the power to weight ratio of a straight 6 GTR .

thanks for the reply i did a little research today and i think it involves swapping the intake manifold and obviously the throttle body and engine loom for the k20a/a2 items, and probably a couple of sensors, i suspect there might be a little more to it than this but as i said before im not trying to match up with a existing setup so hopefully i can get some sort of mapped ecu to run it in the mini

Please keep us posted, this sounds like a really interesting project, and I really appreciate your passing on your findings so far, that sort of thing proves really useful to others out there in the same boat searching for information.

i`ll post up up dates on here as and when i get more info, if anyone reading this can shed any light on the subject please feel free to share lol. could anyone tell me what (apart from the TB and intake manifold) are the main mechanical differences between the two engines FN2 k20z4 and the earlier K20A2 ep3 and how this might affect the conversion please let me know.
thanks

The Fn2 has 2 engine balancers for smoother power delivery when crossing over into the VTEC and a DBW drive by wire throttle too also the intakes/manifolds etc are designed differently to suit the engine bays so swaps will usually come unstuck here.

Other differences between them...
  1. Intake system
  2. Exhaust system
  3. Oil pump
  4. ECU setup
  5. Compression Ratios

thanks for that i am gonna go with the k20a2 set up and use the intake manifold and cable throttle body, also the engine wiring loom. Im lead to believe i will also have to change the crank and oil pressure sensors.The exhaust is especially made for the set up so should be ok. Mechanically it should be ok, the loom and ECU are probably gonna cause some headaches lol but they can be bought from the kit manufacturer made to your spec.
john

little update i think i can get away with just changing the throttle body for the k20a2 item along with engine loom and oil pressure and crank sensor. then its a question of using a after market ecu, hondadata kpro or similar (fingers crossed lol) the car loom can then be built around the ecu as opposed to trying to get the ecu to work in an existing set up.Thats the plan anyway

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back