K series engine

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
I need some info about the K series engines as I have a few plans in the next few months in regards to my car.

My future plans include a turbo conversion. I don't want to follow the crowd and go down the T16 route, or the 1.8 turbo.

So my idea is a 1.4 turbo. There are many haters and doubters on the MG forums and most say just start with a more powerful car. Sure... But why would I do that?

There have been a few guys who have turbo'ed the 1.4 engine and gained impressive results, and a small smount of others also say its far easier to turbo the 1,4 then it is to do a 1.8 conversion or T16 conversion.

There was a lad from Southend who had RSM make him one. All on standard internals.

The 1.4 engine has thicker liners, and shorter rods, but I would need to lower the compression ratio as the standard is 10.5:1. What would be the best way to lower it? I can I just buy a thicker head shim, without spending silly money.

The list of parts are as follows, but if any one knows anything more I would appreciate it.

Spare 1.4 engine
MLS head gasket kit
stat relocation kit
Turbo and Manifold from 1.8 Turbo engine
Drill sump for oil return
water lines (I think)
bigger injectors from the MG ZT
Diesel ZR Rad
Diesel ZR intercooler.
New exhaust :)

So its pretty easy I think....

Well you sound like a man on a mission Dave, and good on you for ignoring the MG forums die hard easy life brigade! ;)

It's really not an easy conversion buddy.
Your being told good advice with the 1.8 t or the T16.
You'd save soooo much money going either of these routes i'm sorry to say.

speak to a guy named drew over on rovertech mate, hes done this and had great results, the 1.4 is the strongest starting point if turbocharging the k series.

i very nearly did this myself back when i had my zr but i went down the throttle bodied route

What about a KV6 2.5 with two turbochargers??

Not sure if you'll fit in under the bonnet tho but it would open a few eyes :D

I think it has been done... Well the KV6 in a ZR. There is also a guy who has used a freelander drive train and running gear with an evo engine in a ZR! :D

It's really not an easy conversion buddy.
Your being told good advice with the 1.8 t or the T16.
You'd save soooo much money going either of these routes i'm sorry to say.

Bolt the turbo to the 1.4 uprate injectors and drill sump. The most exspensive part would be an ECU capable of running this and suitably live mapped. However...

The automatic 2step ECU from the MGF has a module in it suitable for monitoring and controlling boost and being able to be remapped, get one second hand and you'll be laughing.

Eventually I may do the 1.8, but after a remap from Z&F, you can safely reach only 180bhp, from the stock 160bhp. Whereas some 1.4 turbos have been dyno'd at 173bhp, some at 300bhp! on stock internals. Well the 300bhp not ont stock internals, that literally has had thousands spent.

In theory the 1.4 is cheaper, as less internal modifcation is required to get impreesive power.

Sorry for asking a question and getting answers, then arguing... :lol:

But I am after power and persistant. Never a good combination! :lol:

Last edited:
speak to a guy named drew over on rovertech mate, hes done this and had great results, the 1.4 is the strongest starting point if turbocharging the k series.

i very nearly did this myself back when i had my zr but i went down the throttle bodied route

I have heard he sold his last 1.4 turbo, and thats now in a Metro! 300bhp in a metro! :D