k&n filters

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
hi there,

i was considering in fitting a K&N filter to my car, I really fancied fitting a cone filter but i know that you need to tell your insurance company if you do this, does anyone know if you need to tell them if you get one of those panel air filters instead?

For a DB9?! :p

By law, you probably should tell them either way, although in my opinion I would be more reluctant to declare a direct replacement panel filter.. Although it's not an OE part, it's not really regarded as 'performance', more of an alternative to factory replacements. You could argue that it was also probably cheaper to get one of these than a replacement from a main dealer.

But you know insurance companies, if they can find a reason not to pay out, they will be a complete arsehole to you.

Agreed! Most insurance companies do not regard a panel filter as a performance upgrade especially if you describe as a washable direct replacement air filter. This will free up some horses at the top end.

Induction kits are not always the best thing anyway as they can lost bottom end power - what engine have you got and we'll tell you what we think?

im afraid its not a DB9, maybe it will be in a few years! :D
its a 1.4litre polo so im guessing its best to go for the panel filter anyway, just the cone filters sound awesome.

my mate put a cone filter in his rover 214 and gave me a shot in it, what a noise!!!

You drew the right conclusion. K&N make a fantastic noise but will not give any low down power unless you have a big engine or a turbo and even then its only really top end power you gain.