K& N air Filter

Disbeliever

Car
Ceed 2 diesel auto
Will a K& N air Filter improve perfomance on a 2013 Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel auto ? The car is a turbo diesel 126 bhp I will try a K& N filter. overall 35 mpg City & Motorway combined.

Last edited:
So far I know performance filters will only really make a noticeable difference on turbo charged cars, from roughly 5kW to 15kW, different for all cars and state of tune pending. On nat. asp. cars it will increase the throttle response, slightly change exhaust tune and you may even lose a bit of top speed depending on the car. Apart from that they just look cool and they are reusable. If you have a turbo though that should be the first thing you ever do.

Filters are only really worth doing if you have the exhaust system uprated to get rid of the extra air the engine can now suck in.

I had this same thing with a N/A car and a turbo. Bearing in mine the N/A engine was a 2.5 V6 and the turbo was a 2.0. But fitting the filter alone will allow the engine to suck more air, but if the exhaust system is standard you are not allowing it to get rid of the extra air and can cause a choking effect and will feel sluggish on acceleration.

So maybe think about a straight through centre section, filter and a remap should see some nice numbers from a turbo diesel ;)

Diesel ftw...

Remap is really your only answer for more power. Diesels do not have an induction noise/ throaty roar so a open/ cone filter will be next to useless. Get a decent exhaust system on it, a new panel filter, give it a service then book it in for a remap. You'll be surprised what a remapped diesel is capable off.

A well known Newspaper motoring journalist says: Not by itself, a K& N filter means faster airflow to the engine, but if it is also not remapped to take advantage of this, the effect will be negligible and being a non -standard modification, it will also invalidate the Kia warranty and would have to be disclosed to your insurer. As the 2013 Ceed 1.6 diesel auto is very quick off the mark with no turbo lag, using Shell V power diesel I think I will not bother.The car feels a lot quicker than the figures suggest and is much better than my previous 2 litre 150 bhp turbo auto Chev Cruze especially from take off.

Last edited:
I had my self a diesel turbo, a 306 D turbo actually, and found that smoothing the airbox and fitting an aftermarket PANEL filter (A filter that directly replaces the standard element) DOES give greater gains for a fraction of the cost. Most Diesel engines have good air flow anyway and replacing it with a K&N filter will not see many gains. Especially from heat soak. Diesels suffer heat soak.... If your after more power, get a remap... whack a FMIC on to cool the charge temps and push the map a little further... Sounds like they use a ball bearing turbo and minimizes the lag produced.

Will a K& N air Filter improve perfomance on a 2013 Kia Ceed 1.6 Diesel auto ? The car is a turbo diesel 126 bhp I will try a K& N filter. overall 35 mpg City & Motorway combined.

I don't think the K&N air filter will make a difference towards the performance, more like the noise...

If you want a performance upgrade go for a new exhaust

* Sorry buddy, you need to have made 10 posts before you are allowed to post any URL's or photos *

I don't think the K&N air filter will make a difference towards the performance, more like the noise...

If you want a performance upgrade go for a new exhaust

* Sorry buddy, you need to have made 10 posts before you are allowed to post any URL's or photos *

No noise either... As I explained a few posts ago. Diesels do not create an induction noise.

This Forum has insufficient posting owners of Kia cars especially the new Ceed, I seem to be the only one.

It doesn't matter wether or not there are other Cee'd drivers on the forum, most diesels produce power the same way... More fuel and air + boost creates more power.

If you want a fast diesel, like was stated, get a remap, uprated intercooler, performace exhaust and possibly fit a boost gauge to keep an eye on the psi being created.

I'm new and first post here. I fitted an open cone filter to my Kia Rio 1.5 crdi. I havent noticed a gain or lose in power, however the engine does now grumble, and i can here a large sucking sound on acceleration and the turbo dumping off which i didn't expect to be so load. Is it normal for an air filter to amplify the sound of a turbo.

Greetings Gavins and a Warm Welcome to our TorqueCars Forum my Friend!

Good to have you along with us :)

In a word for a open cone air filter, YES! to what you are describing to us.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back