just ordered a new bit of kit

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
well after sundays rr and knowing ive had an issue for a while ive finally decided to get a diagnostic tool but with a few little extras ;)

Leon%20S3%20vent%20with%20insert.jpg

Main Menu

Gauge Display
Graph Display
G force
Speed timing
Faults and adaptations
Multigauge (Coolant, Air, N75, Boost)
Setup

Sub Menus

Gauge Display
Engine power
Torque
Boost pressure
Cmd pressure
Mass Air Flow
Air Fuel Ratio
Air intake temp
Exhaust temp
Coolant temp
N75 position

Oil temp

Graph data
Engine power
Torque
Boost pressure
Cmd pressure
Mass Air Flow
Air Fuel Ratio
Air intake temp
Exhaust temp
Coolant temp
N75 position
Missfire

Dyno plot
Timing Correction plot

G - Force Display
Bar Graph
Left
Right
Acceleration
Deceleration

Speed timing
0-60mph acceleration timing

0-100mph acceleration timing

Faults and Adaptations
Display and Erase Fault Codes

Big turbo setting for up to 500hp engines
English, French, Finnish and German language versions
Imperial or Metric units

http://racediagnostics.com/images/Movie.wmv

Very nice. That's going to take some wiring in! How does it accurately measure power and torque?

luckily no! plug and play via the odb port

tbh its not going to be accurate cause it is only a calculation via the sensors but a mate who has 1 recons that none of the features on theer are to far off and i trust his judgment/knowledge!

Wow - that looks tasty. I guess it also fits the A3. Which air vent were you putting it in? I guess the central right is a good bet;)

Wow - that looks tasty. I guess it also fits the A3. Which air vent were you putting it in? I guess the central right is a good bet;)

yep all vags even diesels
id not really considered which vent but central would be good but my mate advises me to get another vent so if i remove it for security there wont be an empty space

Their great pieces of kit, I had one in my last car (be it a less spanky version) & my mates got one in his Audi TT. Worth every penny mate. :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Their great pieces of kit, I had one in my last car (be it a less spanky version) & my mates got one in his Audi TT. Worth every penny mate. :bigsmile:
glad to hear someone else saying this is a good bit of kit!
the diagnostics bit is the part im interested in most the other functions are a plus

and i just received this email

Race Diagnostics Ltd
------------------------------------------------------
Order Number: 445
Detailed Invoice: http://racediagnostics.com/store/account_history_info.php?order_id=445
Date Ordered: Monday 21 September, 2009

The comments for your order are

Ian,

Your unit shipped earlier today, I held it back one day so that you would get the latest version of software.

Best Regards
Jim

Your order has been updated to the following status.

New status: Sent

Please reply to this email if you have any questions.

so i should receive it friday/saturday :bigsmile:

bad news :(
i received a phone call about an hour ago from race diagnostics and the latest software has a bug
basically it doesnt give the right fault codes when running the diagnostic (the main reason for me buying this was for this purpose!:mad:) every other function is working as it should
but he was apologetic and he is refunding £20 into my paypal to cover the cost of sending it back to him and he will send it back to me asap

rob while i had him on the phone i asked him about the w8 and he said he had never heard of 1 :lol: but he told me where to look here to see if your car is compatible

rob while i had him on the phone i asked him about the w8 and he said he had never heard of 1 :lol: but he told me where to look here to see if your car is compatible

Cheers :D

Story of my life really... nobody has ever heard of the W8! I'll Vag-Com it over the weekend!

When you look at the amount of sense data that modern ECUs gather in real time and then spit out in real time in the form of control data it surprising that the cars operate at all. The fact is that even drive by wire systems now offer similar throttle response to a well set up set of multi-barrel carbs.

I liken it to modern SLR cameras (digital or wet film) with their multimode metering and predictive auto focussing etc.

I'm on the hunt for a web site I saw some years back where somebody posted ways to get all sorts of imformation from the VAG Climatronic 'head unit' simply by means of some unofficial but documented keystrokes. These were reserved for dealers' use. Apparently you caould even recover mean combustion chamber temperatures for each cylinder!

Clearly the unit you have bought is a sensible way to use this data on the road, fiddling with multiple key presses at 70mph is not ideal.

Have fun and enjoy

ohhh nice, see their finally getting to other vag models other than the TT and golf that was originally all available.

have heard that it uses the MAF sensor to work out the Bhp and Torque rather than the torque sensor on the engine for some reason

ohhh nice, see their finally getting to other vag models other than the TT and golf that was originally all available.

have heard that it uses the MAF sensor to work out the Bhp and Torque rather than the torque sensor on the engine for some reason

How does a torque sensor work? I can't figure out in my head any way to measure torque without interfering with the drivetrain directly.

How does a torque sensor work? I can't figure out in my head any way to measure torque without interfering with the drivetrain directly.

Yeah, quite. I was able to plot the torque curve on the W8 with my laptop, but I took my torque readings from the TipTronic gearbox ECU - which sorta made sense!

It's like measuring electric current in a circuit. There's no way to measure it accurately and definitively without interfering with the circuit and the current flow itself.

The general idea is that the measuring apparatus should affect the thing we're measuring or quantifying as little as possible.

We could get into quantum physics here, where Schrodinger's theoretical cat's life is put into a situation where it's chances are exactly 50/50 until observed.

Let's leave that one for another day, perhaps?

It's like measuring electric current in a circuit. There's no way to measure it accurately and definitively without interfering with the circuit and the current flow itself.

The general idea is that the measuring apparatus should affect the thing we're measuring or quantifying as little as possible.

We could get into quantum physics here, where Schrodinger's theoretical cat's life is put into a situation where it's chances are exactly 50/50 until observed.

Let's leave that one for another day, perhaps?

Humour me while I pick my brains off the wall.

In (very) basic terms, isn't BHP the amount of work an engine can do & Torque is how quickly it can do it? If that's the case then if the computer knows how much BHP the engine is producing then it can work out the torque from the time taken vs weight of car, distance travelled, colour of the drivers eyes etc... possibly? :embarrest::confused:

The computer won't know how much BHP is being produced, you can't measure BHP it's a figure given to the combination of Torque and RPM...

BHP = RPM x Torque ÷ 5252 (don't ask me why!)

5252 is only a ratio. It's a number without units of measure, mathematically derived from the units of measure applied to torque and revs.

It has nothing to do with torque and power plots or RPM at all.

33,000 foot pounds of work per minute was equivalent to one horsepower. If we divide the 6.2832 foot pounds of work we've done per revolution of that weight into 33,000 foot pounds, we come up with the fact that one foot pound of torque at 5252 rpm is equal to 33,000 foot pounds per minute of work, and is the equivalent of one horsepower. If we only move that weight at the rate of 2626 rpm, it's the equivalent of 1/2 horsepower (16,500 foot pounds per minute), and so on. Therefore, the following formula applies for calculating horsepower from a torque measurement:

Torque * RPM​

Horsepower =
------------​

5252​

Taken from a cracking bit of bed time reading, here :lol:

looking at it today i wont be able to use it in the central right vent cause the screen will be upside down:(