just got a t5r

completely service it for a start (if you have not already). then intercooler, or a new turbo (not so cheap) are good first steps, you might also want to have a look at the intake and filter.

Most of the advice above isn't any good for a t5, (that's just general turbo car advice) first of all do a stage 0 tune, new plugs, rotor arm and dissy cover, oil and filter change, then a HLM ecu upgrade £150 that will take you to about 255bhp, a manual boost controller will give you tyre shredding spool up but you will loose out on top end boost, a front strut brace will make wonders for the handeling about £55 and a pollybush engine top mount. that lot will keep you going for a bit, another worthwhile mod is to upgrade the front disks from 280mm to 302mm.

Edit: just seen your not UK based, skip the HLM remap and look out for a Rica 304, upsolute or ARD ecu.

Most of the advice above isn't any good for a t5, (that's just general turbo car advice) first of all do a stage 0 tune, new plugs, rotor arm and dissy cover, oil and filter change, then a HLM ecu upgrade £150 that will take you to about 255bhp, a manual boost controller will give you tyre shredding spool up but you will loose out on top end boost, a front strut brace will make wonders for the handeling about £55 and a pollybush engine top mount. that lot will keep you going for a bit, another worthwhile mod is to upgrade the front disks from 280mm to 302mm.

Edit: just seen your not UK based, skip the HLM remap and look out for a Rica 304, upsolute or ARD ecu.

sorry about the really late reply... ive had alot going on... i was wondering if you could elaborate on what a couple of those things do, im trying to learn about the stuff as i go to do and i dont know too much about cars... and im not really gunna bother with the intake for now, i might go for just a high flow air filter

Your car should be fine upto about 350bhp, any more than that and you risk bent rods, i would also recommend a better trans cooler at that sort of power.

Don't like the word ''cheep'' when it comes to modding cars.

buy cheep, buy twice.

Don't do anything that will damage your motor. Id just save up and do it proper, once. ;)

You won't need an intercooler upgrade until your well north of 350bhp.

As he said^^^

Intercoolers dont add any more BHP, they simply cool the charged air so the engine runs better due to huge numbers pushing hot air into the engine. The only way you will see gains from one is if you get one fitted then get it mapped to tell the car it's receiving colder air and ups the fuel slightly, then you will see bhp gains. Otherwise you will just be allowing your engine to run a bit better, thats it.

I have a standard intercooler from a newage scooby (only cuz they are bigger than the classic ones) and I dont need to change to a front mounted one unless I want to look at 400bhp, so dont bother unless you really need to. The money can go on a nice turbo or other bits.

That's true of decent intercoolers but often oem ones on cars can't cope with either hot temps or tuning. All the focus st forums for instance talk of loads of boost loss on remapped cars that still have the standard intercooler.

Oh yeh I can understand that where size on internal channels of the intercooler come into play. Up the boost will need bigger airways, but there are some exceptions out there that dont require the standard item to be replaced until reaching certain figures i.e. scooby top mounts, evo's etc. There is a limit of course as to how far a standrad one can go but alot can take more than others.

Aye, the t50r I believe has a better ic as standard. But isn't one of the reasons an sti is better than a wrx because the sti has a bigger ic?

My bora is a 130 with a small side mounted ic and is remapped to 170. When its cold I get all the extra power but in summer you really notice a drop off. All that I've read says that if I stuck a decent fmic on the drop off would be a lot less. The 150pd has an fmic and it copes better with remaps and hot temps.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back