jUST BOUGHT A NEW "RUNAROUND"

Well after a few months searching in Japan I have finally found my new work car.

Main thing is that it needs to be a hatchback and ideally a wagon and I wanted something different. I had considered quite a few cars then found a special edition model that suited my purpose but was quick.

Unfortunately this meant it was quite rare and took a few months to locate.

But after a few months I found one at a well trusted Japanese dealer I have used before . so after a bit of negotiating I am now the owner of..........................

Well it will be here in about 8-10 weeks and hopefully it will be worth the wait as it may well be the first of this model in the UK

Will post a few more pics and full spec but just for now a taster

Well Toyota thought it was different enough to change the chassis prefix code. It was called the GT FOUR N

For the series 3 Caldina there three variants under the GT Four ST246 banner . The C was the basic , the GT Four the sports and then the N which was the most hardcore but had a few extra gadgets
Compared to the sports GT Four the N was a bit lighter and had a specific factory N spec body kit
It had different suspension and was lowered with Improved shocks and altered spring ratings
It is full four wheel drive and was given Torsen front and rear LSDs , traction control and Sport ABS ( no idea what this is but only the N has it ) Also a front strut brace
It also had a full recaro interior and different gearbox electronics Toyota called it (Super intelligent ECT)
I think that means sequential tipronic that learns how you drive

Gadgets inc rear view camea , climate control etc..

Power was 260bhp and 330 ft lbs of torque

A pic of the front

That's quite a menacing looking front end - if that came up in my rear view mirror, I'd move over for it :amuse:

Thats a really nice looking car. Why do they never bring these officially out in the uk?

How much if you dont mind me asking? Which importer do you use?

I my own import company so import the cars myself and only buy from reputable dealers not from auctions - I dont make a thing about this on the forum because I am on here as a member not as an advertiser.

It is certainly different .Its maybe a bit bigger than it looks - about the same size as a BMW 3 series estate but not as heavy.

As to why they were never available in the UK - the same applies to the nissan stagea and quite a few other hot Japanese estates

Last edited:
Is it because they can only import so many cars tothe uk or is that not the case any more? So if so they want to import the easy to sell stuff.

The Japanese manufacturers have rarely imported their high performance cars to the UK- most skylines , twin turbo supras, mazda rx7s and GT Fours are imports . This aslo applied to the fast estates ( nissan stagea , caldinas , twin turbo legacies etc)

There may have been import restrictions which would have helped to shape the above situation. But now with Japanese manufacturing well set in the UK numbers are no longer an issue and they concentrate mainly on the easy to build and sell cars.
Each model suppilied by a maunufacturer needs to have a comprehensive back up including spares , servicing , etc and I doubt that is practical for very low volume cars .

The really quick cars like the new GTRs and lexus are still made in Japan but maybe thats because they think we cant build them as well and at their price . In any number I think they are probably right.

no that is the factory figures (according to toyota)

As to mods . You can never be sure .The car does has a stainless single box exhaust which looks like 70mm. It also has apexi sports induction and an aftermarket boost gauge on the dash

It does have full service history which shows the mileage is about 68K. It is classed as grade 4 which should means better than very nice judging on previous cars I have had from this source.

It has been bought to be my daily work drive and I have one "quite quick" car already.
I make a point of never saying never but I really dont intend to be tuning it
I might gets some matching white wheels but that will be about it .

An interesting advert ...........

toyota have jusT started a serious ad campaign on " the all new auris"

looks familiar to me :bigsmile:

Two weeks to go and its in southampton

I bought a nice reg from the dvla today . Got it for next to nothing but as there are not any series III GT Turbos in the uk suppose the re isnt much call for this yet.

After a hold up the docks due to muppets I finally saw the car in the flesh for the first time yesterday. it is better than i expected. .
although it was raining and it has 2 months dirt on it it is really nice and smaller than i thought. interior is really nice and it appears to have no dents or scratches, needs a very good wash anh a proper cut and polish so will post some pics when it is done.
mot is tuesday then i can register it so hopefully on the road in two weeks

Passed the mot today so posted off the registration docs . The car got a new yuasa battery as a present.
Ive cut and polished about half the car and i am beginning to really like it.
Had a bit of tme to give the car a serious checkover -all good news
seems to have stage one mods
I has a blitz stainless exhaust , factory strut brace and coilovers , turbo timer , blitz induction and dump valve, also has a boost gauge which suggests it might be chipped as well . Also found an amp under the passnger seat which would be great if i could understand the dvd/av display which in japanese.

I cant tell because most cars dont run boost in neutral and we cant take it out on the road untill it is registered.
Although it doesnt seem to have a boost controller it does have a properly plumbed in boost gauge which makes me think it may not be running stock boost.

I would be itching to test it to see what it can do? I imagine you are the same. It could be running a different ecu if you think that and there is no boost controller. That would be a good bonus if not told when buying