Just been talking to...

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I've just been off the phone to a guy called 'Rick' from a company called CNC Heads (cncheads.co.uk) discussing heads for a 408 small block Chevy. I'd just like to set the record straight because he was possibly the rudest arse I've spoken to and from my experience he's talking rubbish. I don't want to be ignorant, and if I'm wrong... someone please tell me but this is pretty much what happened.

I asked him about a flowed head for the small block chevy and tried to tell him I wanted round ports for better flow. He argued with me that square ports flowed better than round ones and after telling me (and I quote) that I was "talking absolute s***" he told me that I'd obviously never driven a powerful car before. Then finally, before trying to tell me that the Koenigzegg CCX and the Lamborghini Murcielago 650 are not quick cars... he told me that my head was in the clouds and I should have a rethink about what I'm doing and just buy a crate LS7.

Unfortunately he's the head of the goddamn company otherwise I'd have his job out of him in an instant. He is an arrogant arse or am I wrong?

Last edited:
You're talking about Ric Wood. I was going to get my head gas flowed by him, and he really does know his stuff. Unfortunately with knowledge often comes great arogance.

You're talking about Ric Wood. I was going to get my head gas flowed by him, and he really does know his stuff. Unfortunately with knowledge often comes great arogance.

Live with it if it gets the result you want though. I'd rather deal with an arrogant professional than with an obsequious amateur.

Maybe he was having a bad day! I've found the company to be quite helpful and professional and they really do know what they are talking about.

Square ports are generally bigger than round ones as they use up all available space, and therefore flow better (when done properly).

Yup, as waynne says, a square of same diamiter as a circle has a larger area, there for when done right with heads, you usually find they slightly round the corners for smooth air flow, but go for a square shape to gain the most air flow amount. If you want to do a quick test yourself to see what difference there is, get a piece of paper, draw a perfect circle, then draw a square over the top at the same size, and you'll get a very good idea of how much more area it covers, something like 40% more iirc. Something like this anyway:-

EnginePhotosNov30010.jpg

Last edited:
I imagine he gets a lot off daft time waster/dreamer questions on a daily basis, & while your query was genuine you probably caught him on an off day. Still doesn't excuse his lack of manners though.

You've got to remember too that these guys are amongst the top of their game, they don't NEED your business. I would've payed £700 to have my 8v head fully rebuilt and gas flowed by Ric.

Hi RSmith, I obviously was not there at the time of your conversation with Rick! but I have just got of the phone with him after seeking some wisdom/guidance to some cylinder head mods, and I must say, that he was completely well mannered, very informative and extremely helpful, as a consequence of this, I have arranged for him to do all of the modification works on the cylinder head for my Saab 93 as he is one of the best! :D

I think by your description of your conversation with him, that you must have caught him on a really bad day!! :(

I have researched Rick's work on the net, and his reviews are awesome!
Good luck with whoever you decide to use any way!

Hi guys,

I've just been off the phone to a guy called 'Rick' from a company called CNC Heads (cncheads.co.uk) discussing heads for a 408 small block Chevy. I'd just like to set the record straight because he was possibly the rudest arse I've spoken to and from my experience he's talking rubbish. I don't want to be ignorant, and if I'm wrong... someone please tell me but this is pretty much what happened.

I asked him about a flowed head for the small block chevy and tried to tell him I wanted round ports for better flow. He argued with me that square ports flowed better than round ones and after telling me (and I quote) that I was "talking absolute s***" he told me that I'd obviously never driven a powerful car before. Then finally, before trying to tell me that the Koenigzegg CCX and the Lamborghini Murcielago 650 are not quick cars... he told me that my head was in the clouds and I should have a rethink about what I'm doing and just buy a crate LS7.

Unfortunately he's the head of the goddamn company otherwise I'd have his job out of him in an instant. He is an arrogant arse or am I wrong?

I do not know about the UK scene as regards Chevy small block head work, but if this guy is rude, why not you just order what you want from the U.S of A?,I know for a fact that you literally have dozens of companies doing excellent mods on the small block chevys and the more expensive mods come with 32 valves, in aluminium, etc.

America is the place to shop for Small block Chevy stuff not the UK, plus you will not have to face any furthur humiliation and rough language from this man.

If you have some experience on engines, it is not too difficult to assemble a nice high flowing head for yourself by just following any one of the large amount of literature on small block Chevy mods.

Not dealt with the company myself, but my friend Alex has spoken to Rick. As with T9 Man, he found Rick to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable. It just seems like he got out on the wrong side of bed on the day that you phoned him RSmith!