just a quick question

clio197MJB

Tuner
Car
RS Clio 197 2.0
can an intercooler be fitted onto a N/A engine?

or more to the point, would it increae the power as a result of cooling the intake air making it more oxygen-rich??

thanks in advance guys

cool thanks TN, i just really like the look of them, u know with the color coded silicon ducting at either side aswell :)

Just buy your self some nice shiny shiny piping then. There is no requirement to have any of it hard pipe, so it wont cost as much. Should be able to change all leads, cables and what not for quite cheep.

yes it can be.

but it increases the intake length and will add more restriction to it.

if you like them so much just get one off ebay fit it but dont connect it up, nobody will ever know ;P

I know this but it's a bit different to being Filled with fluid like bbj said.;)

:blink: Do they not!! I should really do some research on my own car!! Told you guys I was thick!! I have got to be one of the stupidest guys to own an evo!!

Although, like TN says, I do have one of them spray things! Just set mine on automatic!

And a bit of fine oil mist often sneaks in. But the general idea is to cool charge air between turbo and intake manifold.

Incidentally, the reason it's called an intercooler is because in aviation piston engine applications it's common to use multiple sequential superchargers (which includes turbochargers) and the intercoolers go between each stage, with a final one between the last compressor and intake manifold. This would not work in road applications because of turbo lag.

Turbo lag is not an issue with aeronautical applications.

And a bit of fine oil mist often sneaks in. But the general idea is to cool charge air between turbo and intake manifold.

Incidentally, the reason it's called an intercooler is because in aviation piston engine applications it's common to use multiple sequential superchargers (which includes turbochargers) and the intercoolers go between each stage, with a final one between the last compressor and intake manifold. This would not work in road applications because of turbo lag.

Turbo lag is not an issue with aeronautical applications.

Ohh dear, it would seam I'v cocked up then.
2011-01-08151254.jpg

You'll have to explain this to me. I know that your car is seriously rapid and I was not considering this particular case when making general statements.

If I remember correctly you do use excess fuelling to ramp up the exhaust gas velocity.

You'll have to explain this to me. I know that your car is seriously rapid and I was not considering this particular case when making general statements.

If I remember correctly you do use excess fuelling to ramp up the exhaust gas velocity.

That was a while ago, I now have a turbo feeding a supercharger, hence the two intercoolers.

That was a while ago, I now have a turbo feeding a supercharger, hence the two intercoolers.

I wasn't being critical of your particular setup. In much the same way that I wasn't criticising Roverron's things when I made general statements about tuning boxes.

In neither case did I mention any individual vehicle or product.

So - on to the interesting stuff - what's the latest with your horizontal chimney fire?

:D :D :D

I wasn't being critical of your particular setup. In much the same way that I wasn't criticising Roverron's things when I made general statements about tuning boxes.

In neither case did I mention any individual vehicle or product.

So - on to the interesting stuff - what's the latest with your horizontal chimney fire?

:D :D :D
bloodey forums, at no point did i feel you were being critical mate. :)

MOT on tuesday, then onto mapping.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f41/picks-my-engine-bay-9158/index5.html#post160148

to the OP: sorry for the hijack
Derail_1.jpg

can an intercooler be fitted onto a N/A engine?

or more to the point, would it increase the power as a result of cooling the intake air making it more oxygen-rich??

thanks in advance guys

Have a look at cryogenic intakes, there's an american firm that makes a kit that uses an aluminium bulb thats sits in the intake airflow & is cooled using compressed CO² (I think). :D

Using a fine water spary in the intake would create the same effect, proven loads of times.

It's mainly a concept for turbocharged/supercharged vehicles but does work on NA engines.

So thus, intercoolers your intake (as such) you should find as well you will get an improvement in fuel economy,

Look up DevilsOwn UK.