JDM Cars

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
What is a JDM car, what does JDM mean?

Can you get a UK version of a JDM car? Can you import and export JDM cars?

What are your favourite JDM cars out there at the moment?

Is there any difference between a JDM Honda Civic type R and a USA or EU version of the same car?

Is there any difference between a JDM Honda Civic type R and a USA or EU version of the same car?

Japanese Domestic market, it refers to anything specified and sold in Japan. Japanese fuel is typically 100octane, much higher than we usually get in the UK so cars are optimised for this fuel.

There are differences between countries. A true JDM car is usually imported rather than converted or made into one. The trouble is the speedos are not usually in Miles and in some countries the car will need to be converted from/to left hand drive.

Parts for JDM cars do not always fit on cars made in other regions. I've known some alumiunum blocks with liners to become steel in some regions, and specs are mostly similar there are often essential differences around the cooling channels and threads on the mounts etc...

Hope that helps to answer your questions.

The Honda NSX is my favourite JDM car and has been for quite a while, the Type R is underrated and almost a supercar with much lower running costs and supreme reliability. The Mitsubishi 3000GT is a close second, and looks really modern even by todays standards but I know these often have electrical issues as they are getting on a bit.

as above JDM = Japanese Domestic market
As in car models made specifically for the home (japanese) market and not exported with the same spec.
In other words as an example the 33GTRs sold in the UK new are not JDM cars .

So by definition almost none will be exported (with japan spec) and sold new in europe/US/etc as the regulations are different.
Gemnerally JDM cars are higher spec ,often faster (goes together) and all will be RHD.

As to favourite JDM road car - No brainer (for me ) 1970s Toyota 2000GT which is also the most valuable japanese road car (not counting one offs and race cars) . and makes up for over half the 30 most expensive japanese cars ever sold . one sold last year at well over 1m $ .

Good to see you are still around Brian |B

Do you know anything about Os as he has been MIA for a long time ?

The JDM car market is confusing. I was looking at a import website and they wanted $140000 for a Nissan Skyline Hakosuka which is like a 200k+ car yet supras are on the market for 200k. And that Hakosuka had no damage and was clean as hell! Anyone have an idea of why this is going on right now?

Supply and demand. During lockdown the prices have been shaken around significantly especially as no one was buying cars.

hakosuka is a body shape
They come in 2 and 4 doors auto or manual with a big choice of engines.
Prices have gone silly over the last while on a lot of the desirable JDM cars
So a 4 door auto hako is probably worth less than half of a 2000 Gt and way less than an original GTR hako (think of a number and double it )
Same with supras and skylines a fmint top of the range factory manual turbo supra will be approaching £200k a bottom model maybe still under £20K Skylines are the same an iffy 4 door 2 litre auto 32 is probably under £10k A mint N1 32GTR is more than a twin turbo supra
You need to know the JDM market in detail or you can get seriously caught out

Hi Brian it's good to see that you are still out there and up to date with the JDM import prices.

So what is your Skyline worth in todays market ?

As you can see I sold my Starion a couple of years ago and wanted a DC5 Type R Integra but had to settle for the red FN2 that despite being younger was lower priced as they were built in GB.

Thanks for the heads up