J Tec - Mitsubishi GTO TT

Hey guys. As promised I'm starting a thread on one of my other projects.
This time it's a 1992 Mitsubishi GTO TT

She is my first and most certainly not the last! As up until last week I had 5 of these, for my sins, 2 were NA auto and one of them got sold to a friend who is now discovering what an ass raping feels like good job it's only a NA!

Back to J Tec.
Im not sure how long i will have this car, if it has come to me for the dire TLC it was in need of to be then sold back on or if it is one that will stay in the ever growing collection of classic J-Tin.
Either way, it is here with me and a step in the right direction.

This long story starts back to around the last week or two of July 2015.
Rob (my other half) was looking on a FB page to do with old Volvos and was talking to a guy from St Helens about an ex funeral limo volvo that was on a 98 plate (although the cars model ended in 89).
out of interest we asked the guy what else he had in his collection, and we was shown about 9 other cars. one of them being the GTO, now, we asked him if that was for sale and we was swiftly told a firm no.
humm... ok then.... fast forward a week and we ask again, and again we was told no.
right.... fast forward another week and again we asked. this time he said yes, so we made arragments to go up and view the car on the 1st aug. what a *#*#*#*#*#*#*# trip that was! not only was it pissing down with rain and i ended up getting soaked cos the windscreen in our tank is in need of resealing, but it was non stop traffic.

Anyway, we arrived and went off to the car that the guy had left parked in his works carpark.
was told it had no MOT and not been driven in about 6 months.
i asked if we could start the car to check it all over, and after a jump it roared into life (oooooohhhhh that sounded sweeeeeeet) all sounded ok, bar a whistling from a pully? i dunno, its quite now, and a bit tappy, but that was down to the oil being right at the bottom due to non starting/moving etc.

while the car was running, i gave it a good going over with a fine tooth combe, inside and out, under and over.
found a few things wrong, but they were used for a good bargining tool.

It had a massive scratch down the passenger side, front to back and damage to the n/s wing mirror. the drivers seat was a bit tatty as was the steering wheel and the gear knob. the folding mirror switch didnt work and the exhaust was blowing. on top of that there was no service history, only the word of the guy that he had the cam belt changed in 2012.

i was happy with what i had seen and we begain the bargining battle. in the end we settled on £1700.
I handed him over £600 for a deposit and told him that we will be back on the 10th aug to bring her home.
5 weeks on the car has had a clean bill of health in the form of an MOT with no advisories, the scratch has been made to vanish as well as the damaged wingmirror, the drivers seat has had its upholstery changed and the coolent system has been flushed.
i am curently saving up for the big service while tackling a couple of minor issues, such as the ECS not working and a dodgy Aero kit.
The sound has been sorted too and im running all infinity speakers, sub and amp. i was running a standard single din head unit but sadly i think its now dead, it died on the drive back from JAE , iv got a double din, but it does not fit and i do need an adaptor plate or something like that.
Iv been keeping a log on the MPG too and its proving to be better than my Legnum VR4.

Im going back to mitsi ciren and ordering a standard back box and im on the hunt for mark 1 alloys, i did for shits n giggles enquire about a new set from mitsi.... £1500, yeah... think i will pass on that one.

since getting the car i have attended 2 meets, the south west one and JAE. both fantastic and the start of many more to come.

The key to this car is to keep it as orignal as possible..... we will see how long that lasts eh!

Attachments

• image.jpg2_zpsfnrst3ls.jpg
    image.jpg2_zpsfnrst3ls.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 513
On the 15/9/15 she started over heating big time. Just about finished the school run and got a couple streets away when I noticed the temp had shot above the H.
Pulled over, bonet open, rad is stone cold as are pipes. No pressure. Rad cap off, nothing yet expansion bottle is full.... hummm

Car sounds like a sack of *#*#*#*#, FML.

Well after a good poke and prod it turned out the sealent around the water pump gave up the go.
Well, I needed to change the cambelt anyway.
Little did I know what ass ache was in store for ne over the next 7 weeks!

I managed to get all my parts without any issue and I even had a member form gtouk pop up to help with the work.
Even managed to throw a big BBQ together as well so made a good day of it.

When we got down to removing the water pump off the car, we found why the leak had happened.
The main water feed pipe had corroded right on the end. Rob took the pipe off to his mate to get it fixed and me and Ben carried on doing anything we could do to keep our self's busy.
It must of been a good few hours but eventually rob cam back with a nice fixed pipe :)
Happy days!
Work them began putting everything back together.
By the time the work was done, it was late. But the work was done.... or so we thought!
As while the engine was running it suddenly started sound like *#*#*#*# again and hunting. Almost as if timing was out.
Bollocks!
Well sod it, turn the car off, said thanks and bye to the guy who came up to help. Packed up and went inside for the night.

The next day myself and partner took things off and had another poke and prob as to what the issue could be.
Well, long story short, countless people saying it's not the timing you *#*#*#*#*#*# the engine, blah blah you're a female what do you know about it blah *#*#*#*#*#*#*# blah.
it turned out the brand new hydraulic tensioner failed, it popped it's seal and just sucked dick. It stretched the cam belt and was making it slap about like a little bitch.
So.... £175 later a new belt and new tensioner was got. Do not ever use INA parts.
Now the belt had been changed again and things were sounding as they should the car decided to be a *#*#*#*# once more.
Still sounding like a miss fire so changed leads and plugs, nope, ok then change coil packs.... sorted it out but not all of it. Ffs. Changed a few things on the TB.... better but not 100% *#*#*#*# it it will do. THEN It stopped working all together! At this point I'm doing the Mexican hat dance while going through every curse word I know in English and Italian!
At this point we pack up and go in to clam down, research and rest up ready to fight another day.

Eventually, after weeks of issues and problem solving and head scratching and getting an electric shock off the main engine relay, it came down to a single fuse in the car that I over looked. Replaced it and was bang thank you mam she came back to life!
Thank *#*#*#*# for that!

Let's skip forward a fair few months and it's now June 26th 2016.
I head off to a southwest meet with a few fellow gto owners. But upon arriving my wonderful car decide to become incontinent and piss her fluid all over the place. Joys. After the meet I just got her home, spoke to my mum and apologised for not coming up to see her due to the car being an arse and me feeling tired.
That would of been the last time I was to ever speak to mum
She passed away during the early hours of Monday morning and my partner found her as he was staying with her at the time.
That morning was also the last time I drove J Tec for 8 months. I got to the school to drop the kids off then I got the call from rob telling me the bad news. The school was good and a member of staff drove me to my mums and said my car would be fine in their carpark.

8 months pass and I decide it's time to start driving again, so we hurled J Tec's ass in from the road and proceeded to find the source of the water leak.
Turned out is was from the thermostat area. Easy fix. Took it off, cleaned it down, wacked some water resistant sealent on and popped it back in place. Good as new!

For now....

6 weeks later....
I'm sat at the side of the road, bonnet up and steam everywhere from a split pipe. Managed to limp it to tesco to get some bodgery stuff, a 3 mile drive took 2 hours. Managed to fix it and refill it and all seemed ok.
Then Monday afternoon rolled round and rob takes J Tec to pick the kids up.....

I get a call saying the car just cut out on him and he had to coast it through a red light so he could get the car to a safe spot off the duel cabbage way. The police saw what happened and followed him to make sure everything was ok. Saw the fact the car wasn't working and thanked him for pulling off the main drag although he shouldn't of gone through the red light but seeing what's what they let him off.

Anyway I go get the kids then meet him after armed with tow rope and sign. Would of been tow bar but there wasn't any way in hell that was going to fit due to the active aero kit being in the way.

Well once the car was home we set about doing tests. done the compression test on the front bank and the results are
Cylinder 1: 10psi
Cylinder 3: 0
Cylinder 5: 0

Cylinder 6: 20psi
Cylinder 4: 25psi
Cylinder 2: 130psi

*#*#*#*#
And that boys and girls is where things got left.
The car was then pushed into the garage where it can stay and think about what it's done haha.
But during the drama of everything we had othe issues crop up such as dodgy wiring, crusty exhaust, fitting of leathers & replacing rear arms.
Then Friday just gone (26/5/17) I picked up a set of 13t turbos, RC550 injectors and a walbro fuel pump. Iv just got to decide if I want to stick with side intercoolers or go fmic as well as get a fpr and sort out either a stand alone or piggy back but in the mean time I'll see about a manual controller on the maf.
J Tec's engine is duff but I do have a doner engine waiting to go in, all we need is a bit more money and time :) oH and decide what clutch I want.

Once I get to a laptop I'll post pics

Thanks for reading x

Attachments

• 20170227_092716.jpg
    20170227_092716.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20170527_201123.jpg
    20170527_201123.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 7
this is going to be one of them long ones that may go ages between updates.

anyway here is some pictures of the car
resized1.jpg resized2.jpg resized3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3648.jpg
    IMG_3648.jpg
    870.5 KB · Views: 6