I've agreed to repair a friend's car, but I'm unsure on a quote to give him, can you help ?

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
My friend has a 2006 ford focus sport 1.8 TDCI , He has asked me to replace these following components for him as he doesn't like/trust going to garages.

.New battery. (he has new battery, just wants it fitted)
.Glow Plugs
.Thermostat
.Radiator - (he already has radiator (used), just needs it fitting)
.steering arms
.track rod ends (can be done with steering arms)
.Brake discs
.Brake pads (pads can be done with discs)
.wheel bearing
.CV joint gaiter (unfortunately this is on opposite side that needs wheel bearing)
.Drop-links

I am thinking of what would be a decent quote to give him for me to replace those components. what would you suggest ?

Thanks

Difficult! As he is a "Friend" is there something that he can do for you at a later date that would save you money?

Difficult! As he is a "Friend" is there something that he can do for you at a later date that would save you money?
thanks

I'm not sure but he is disabled and cannot do anything really work-related but as he is a friend I'll certainly give him a good discount and let him pay me in instalments if he likes, I like your idea though, I wish more people would think like that.

Can you please say how much a garage would approximately charge to do those repairs and what you would charge approx ?

thanks again

Well my garage charge me £60 per hour up to four hours, then the rate drops to £40 per hour after that. I personally charge for my electrical engineering skills for a friend is one bottle of quality cognac if less than 3 hours.

Favours often end up costing a lot more than you think. Rusty bolts, wrong parts, broken tools, things splitting when they get removed. Generally speaking I'd charge 50% of the parts cost in labour, it always seems to work out so I break even that way. Some jobs like a head gasket would be much more than this obviously but for service and general stuff it works out.

Not sure but it might be worth getting the Haynes and looking up rough times for each job. As a friend I wouldnt charge for some things like fitting the battery.

Do you have all the tools needed to carry out the work? Sometimes the cost to buy these gets forgotten and can inflate the final quote. Some of those jobs are fairly straightforward, some could be troublesome if seized etc. Could be a full days work there when totted up. Cost in consumables? OAT coolant etc.