issue with my beemer

GBL

Sometimes when I turn the key it moves in the barrel slightly more than normal and car takes longer than it should to kick in, sometimes it's fine. BMW told me I needed a new ignition switch which I got replaced but the problem still persists.

Could my barrel be knackered? there is a bit of rust on it, or could it be the key itself?

I am just hoping it isn't the starter motor.

Any advice appreciated.

Common problem. Barrel is a little worn but it could stay like this for ages. Mine often spins in the barrel before clicking in properly.
When it does it take it out, make sure you have pushed it all the way in, give it a wiggle and the steering wheel at the same time (not helping if your fighting against the steering lock as well) and try again. Mine normally spins 360 then contacts correctly.

I'm on my 4th e36 (11th bm) and all of them have done it at least once.

Um mostly crashing them into things lol.

Nah, I get bored pretty quick and have a real soft spot for BM's. Bar perhaps JDM stuff like 200s etc I dont think there are cars that fit my bill quite as well as BMs.
£1k will buy you a nice looking well built 200hp car which is great day to day and can drift well at the weekends. Plus every BM I have owned has been happy with the hard use, comes out the other side laughing. Unlike my 200 which blew up twice in its 1st week lol.

i am from the west country too very scary trees especially when they jump out in front of you lol,and you are right we do have some nice windy roads down this end of the country perfect place for a rear end motor :).

Common problem. Barrel is a little worn but it could stay like this for ages. Mine often spins in the barrel before clicking in properly.
When it does it take it out, make sure you have pushed it all the way in, give it a wiggle and the steering wheel at the same time (not helping if your fighting against the steering lock as well) and try again. Mine normally spins 360 then contacts correctly.

I'm on my 4th e36 (11th bm) and all of them have done it at least once.

I have been told that its common, it's slightly annoying especially if you have a bird in the car :)

Not if you use it as an excuse as to why you need to be stopped somewhere...

Exmoor has some awesome driving roads for anyone that can be arsed to trek down and see. We had a BM meet there recently which centred around the drive to and from and everyone had a good drive.

:lol: I've done a bit of driving over Exmoor. Not the kind of place i'd want to get caught in a snow drift though! What is it with caravans down there?