Is RWD more fun

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Many of the cars we think of as fun to drive are RWD so does this mean that you need rear drive on a fun car?

The mini is fwd but fun. The dc5 and dc2 are both fun to drive but would they be even better as rwd cars?

Been such a long time since I was in a RWD car. The last time a smoked one was at Silverstone in 2014 on a high performance driving course for the day. But then the choice of cars available were rather exceptional |B

RWD is only more fun in the right hands. To the inexperienced RWD can be lethal. There is a reason most road cars are FWD.

Lunchmoney is right on the money |B

Most cars are built to understeer when pushed as that is considered to be the safest option for largely unskilled motorists.

A FWD car correctly set up and in the hands of a skilled operator is a worthy match for most RWD drivers IMO

Lunchmoney is right on the money |B

Most cars are built to understeer when pushed as that is considered to be the safest option for largely unskilled motorists.

A FWD car correctly set up and in the hands of a skilled operator is a worthy match for most RWD drivers IMO

That is a true fact.
My old Focus 1.6 handled like it was on rails. And being it had very little power it was hard pushed to even get it to understeer anywhere.
If anything it liked lift off oversteer more but it was still easily controllable.